Project No. 1: Alpinestars Cro-Mega XT '1992 meets 2008'

Just read the whole topic - missed this earlier.

First thoughts were - WTF is he doing to it?! but have to say by the pic - 2008_0903astars0005.JPG - all black looks fantastic.

Congratulations on building what you wanted to build but I cannot stop myself thinking I *hate* :x those cheap looking silver decals screaming out all over it - they remind me of the old prismatic stickers we used to plaster out Grifters in...! Rip 'em off and keep the stealth look.

Sorry! - otherwise great effort.

:)

BTW, I bought one of these (a Cro-Mega DX) back in '92 IIRC (exactly the same as Mr Kawasaki's red one). I sold it a short while after to a bike shop friend who I still ride with now and again. He is not retro or anything but is a roadie at heart and has never changed his MTB since so it is pretty much the same as it was 16 odd years ago. He is moving to Aus' soon so I will hopefully buy it back.

You have done a great job on this bike, it does look fantastic with a mixture of retro and modern on it, have fun with it on the Peaks tomorrow, nice one :)

Ridden at the peaks today and never missed a beat. Really pleased with it, handled right on the money.

Just need to sort my own fitness out now :oops:

You have produced a masterpiece mate, when I heard the plan on here I was not sure if it would work out, but liked the fact you wanted to do summat different anyway, cos its what you wanted. Seeing the finished article, its great you are right, it doesn't not lack character, no corners have been cut, and you have pretty much built your dream bike. :cool: :cool: :cool: not everyone could have built to this brief and come out with an awesome bike.
The stickers look a lot better in the flesh and I can see why you went with em, with your background. ;) :cool:

Nice to meet ya mate, I too need to get ship shape! :)

This is RB hot rodding taken to the max :cool:

Not sure if I think its inspired, or a gee that would be a great bike with a decent new frame :LOL:

I somehow missed this thread, especially the completed bit :roll:
Have to say i was impressed at the Peaks. Looking at thinking is that modern or retro? I gave up and asked :LOL: Thats the thing that got me with this, its a great complete bike, it looks good and the old and new fit well together ;)

Back