How much will my Marin cost?

Re: Re:

davidj":26zqy0tp said:
Day 1 I replaced the wheels using wheels I already had (these are temporary as I plan to go disc brake asap) so I apportion no cost. I replaced tyres and tubes with NOS items I have had in my spares for 15 years, along with a seat post clamp that I have had for even longer. Again I apportion no cost for these as they would probably have still been there when they bury me if not for this bike. Brake cable and pads for the rear brake are the same story and again they are temporary whilst I prepare for the disc brakes, so no cost.

Still at £123.99

That runs counter-intuitive to the costing process, for shouldn't there properly be some sort of reasonable/modest value apportioned to each of the components you put on the bike, regardless of whether or not you had them in a drawer or box forever?

Re:

The wheels are going as he will need to buy Disc based wheels, hence no cost as they are coming off.

Edit ,/ah ryou mean the tyres and tubes. Agree as they did cost something in the forest place, they could have been sold to make some money.

I've stopped trying to work out what my bikes have cost me, I think I would probably cry and if the boss new she'd kill me. Boys got to have a hobby though and keeps me out of trouble ;)

Re:

FluffyChicken":8nkcum9x said:
You're changing a quility wtb headset that works perfectly fine for another because you want the to all look the same?

Not quite, I want to use the 30 Gold currently on my Ugly bike on the Marin, the XC30 currently on my turbo trainer bike on the Ugly bike and the Spinner 565 on the Marin on my turbo trainer bike. Saving me buying a new set of forks for the Marin and utilising what I have where it is best served.

More about compatability, the two existing bikes have Orbit MX, thus allowing me to swap the forks without replacing headset cups.

k-rod":nhrr8l1j said:
davidj":nhrr8l1j said:
Day 1 I replaced the wheels using wheels I already had (these are temporary as I plan to go disc brake asap) so I apportion no cost. I replaced tyres and tubes with NOS items I have had in my spares for 15 years, along with a seat post clamp that I have had for even longer. Again I apportion no cost for these as they would probably have still been there when they bury me if not for this bike. Brake cable and pads for the rear brake are the same story and again they are temporary whilst I prepare for the disc brakes, so no cost.

Still at £123.99

That runs counter-intuitive to the costing process, for shouldn't there properly be some sort of reasonable/modest value apportioned to each of the components you put on the bike, regardless of whether or not you had them in a drawer or box forever?

With regard the tyres, I have no idea what they cost me 15 years ago, plus the bike had good tyres on it and I swapped them because I could. Granted I have now sold one of the original tyres on the Marin and allowed for that as a return. Unless someone wants to put a cost on Michelins for me they will remain at £0. The total is already rising faster than I expected despite budget shopping, so throw me a bone wont you ;).

Re:

30 quid for the tyres, so make it 20 to not feel so bad as you could easily sell them for the 20 quid. What model are they anyway?

It is only the crown race that needs to be the same, check the WTB crown race is actually different (ignoring split races, else just use what's fitted. It'll save you 20 quid and changing the child over if the race is the same bearing profile.

Re:

From now on I consider the thread title a rhetorical question, for two reasons:
1) Following a bit of a spree I no longer want to know!
b) The accountants have put me off by insisting every last rusty washer is given a value
iii) There is no three.

First up was a new 184mm (yes 184mm measured eye to eye centres) kashima coated Fox shock and bushes, then a set of new Crossrides and hydraulic disk brakes. Some plastic plugs for the rear shock mount holes and various stainless bolts & washers to finish things off.

The stem has been swapped for a low rise one, but I am still unsure if it is quite right for me, possibly a longer stem but I plan to try some flat bars first. I am puzzling over the seatpost size, I can read 27 on the post but it is so feint I am unsure if it is followed by a .2 or not.

A new 9 speed XT cassette at a bargain price determined my transmission plans, accompanied by a used XT rear mech, XT 9 speed shifter and a 38 tooth chainring with a nine speed chain. It is all set to go as a 1x9 :). Having read so much about the short life of external BBs I decided to stay Square Taper for now, and gave the existing scuffed black crankset a new look with some fine Wet & Dry. I am so pleased with the result I may just keep them despite being no name cheapies.

I still need to shorten the rear brake hose, I have the barb & olive ready but I don't have any mineral oil or a bleed kit yet. I have a new headset & a rockshox 30 Solo Air but won't fit them till it comes back from powder coating.

I am currently on the shakedown ride, just stopped for refreshments, and then time to try the hills back home and hope I calculated the gearing correctly.

Re:

Ive seen youve bottled out adding up the cost. Man up!!! Lets see the financial damage!!!

Re:

The shakedown ride went great nothing fell off :LOL: including me! I took it steady to bed the brakes in and exercise the gears, it shifts beautifully and the gearing is acceptable for my normal terrain. I might try a 36 tooth chainring in the future as one of the hills left me with a higher heart rate than I like..

The start of todays ride coincided with a downpour, so I went faster, a lot faster and what a bike this is turning out to be. Only surprise was the howl from the disk brakes that I had not experienced before. Quickly stopped once the disks were clear of water. I am loving 1x9 but I do need to fine tune for the 11tooth as there is a bit of grumbling going on.

I am now out on my third bike of the day (refreshments were required ;) ), first Coyote was my regular 50 minutes on the turbo trainer. Followed by the Marin ride above and now on Coyote Ugly. I am wondering why I waited till I was 50 before trying a Marin FRS especially as they have been available for 15+ years. Flat narrow bars also feel suddenly Alien, Coyote Ugly may not be a finished build afterall..

02gf74":2mrrf9i2 said:
Ive seen youve bottled out adding up the cost. Man up!!! Lets see the financial damage!!!

Seriously, I don't want to know anymore. I am on my second rear shock, second set of disk brakes, second set of wheels and about to change my mind on the forks from the Rockshox I have to the Fox I need to purchase and then upgrade to Kashima coatings :facepalm: . I thought this was going to be a £300 revamp, turned into a money pit and I still haven't learned my lesson :shock: .

I just hope some of the "wrong" purchases find buyers on ebay sometime soon...

Oh, and i am loving every minute of it :LOL:

Back