Polishing

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Ok the forks are off to the powder coaters, my next job is to strip the frame and polish it. Any good tips or even the best procedure for taking a painted alu frame to a high polish?

see my earlier post on using one of those triangular sanders

results on the marin frs ;)

Yep!
waterrpoof sandpaper (1200) very gently and get some copper polish (alupolish is ofter a bit too rough)
Take a soft cloth like flanell (is dat the correct word?) and rub the polish in and wipe it out when it turns black.
How does your frame look now, painted or blank alu?

After a lot of polishing it will look like this:
Achtervork%20LTS%20klein.jpg

Seen the thread slim, nice job, I've got one of those.

LTS I'm starting from scratch, so painted frame, I first intend to strip the paint using paint stripper then have a go with the fine sandpaper. Next use the sander ala slim tip then polish with autosol.

That is from my 9 year old GT LTS. Thats't the rear forks. I took a while in polishing. But the result was really nice. But I didn't have to remove paint, t was already "ball burnished"

The total result, 9 year old:
GT%20LTS%20in%20building%20klein.jpg

put a nice blob of polish on and use a long rag

hang it over the tube and pul back and forth

in what i call my " milk maid " technique ( easiest way to explain it :LOL: )

LTS - when do you use the 1200 grit sandpaper? Is that the first step or do you do it after the polish is appied? Thanks

I used the fine sandpaper to polish the deep scratches and cable rubs. Then you'll have ugly marks from the paper, so then you take the alu-polish and rub it gently with a cotton cloth.
Next step for the fine polish is a very soft cloth and rub it with a bit of alu-polish, the result is very shiny and smooth surface.
Just like SLIM said, for the large surfaces take the rag and "mailk maid" the tubes.
I did it the less subtile way. I used a alectronic sander, but instead of sandpaper I used a piece rag/cloth on it.
I didn't want to spend hours on polishing the whole frame, only the edges near the welds and the CNC parts I did by hand.

a small bench grinder with flap wheels fitted is the way forward on this
visit your local engeneering supply guys or machine mart
(harbour freight and similar in the us) and they should be able to supply
polishing kits (motor bike shops too) get 3 mops, 1 for each compound.
a brown soap for the rough stuff a blue soap for the second should do and a fine paste to finish (peek or similar)
bolt your grinder to a sturdy bench fit the mops and away you go, big
black bogies fingerprints and polished stuff everywere.
try it out on an old bit of tat first tho,and always wash the finished item
in hot water and soap(washing up liquid)
then you get to bore your mates with all the stuff you've polished
mikee

Back