Carlton Criterium 1972-73

Re: Carlton Criterium 1972-73 build In progress

Yes that chain looks real nice ;) , it would seem looking at the pics as though bigger wheels would be the only solution in bringing the brakes inline with the rims :( and as for the binder bolt i'm not sure where you could source one of those from unless their is a classic Ralieigh bike club online that you could source one from ..

Re: This looks bloody brilliant.

I have been looking for months now for someone to post their restoration process of an old Criterium. I bought one myself earlier this year and have had a massively difficult time trying to get it on the road. I have go everything sorted bar one small detail; the bottom bracket.

I hit some snags with my c.1975 Carlton Criterium (TA, Raleigh) with the threads being 26tpi. This has made finding the right headset,and bottom bracket cups a real pain. Out of curiosity, does your model have the same thread count as mine? I got really excited when you said you had converted it to a cotterless square tapered bracket, as this sounds like a perfect way to avoid the maintenance of cottered cranks.

I am merely a suitable bottom bracket away from getting mine on the road, so if you have any advice to give, i'd love to hear it.

Great job by the way, looks really great. And I love the purple!

L

Re: This looks bloody brilliant.

liam_lees":25ghubtl said:
I have been looking for months now for someone to post their restoration process of an old Criterium. I bought one myself earlier this year and have had a massively difficult time trying to get it on the road. I have go everything sorted bar one small detail; the bottom bracket.

I hit some snags with my c.1975 Carlton Criterium (TA, Raleigh) with the threads being 26tpi. This has made finding the right headset,and bottom bracket cups a real pain. Out of curiosity, does your model have the same thread count as mine? I got really excited when you said you had converted it to a cotterless square tapered bracket, as this sounds like a perfect way to avoid the maintenance of cottered cranks.

I am merely a suitable bottom bracket away from getting mine on the road, so if you have any advice to give, i'd love to hear it.

Great job by the way, looks really great. And I love the purple!

L
Thanks ever so much mate.
Luckily mine is English threaded so I had the liberty of choosing any bottom bracket that would fit my cranks. The TA cranks are a riddle by themselves with asymmetric spindle size.

I not only find the cotters annoying to maintain but the unsealed bottom brackets are an added maintenance problem. Though cottered cranks are beautiful and in a perfect world someone would create same style minus the cotters or some system whereby they could be used with a cotter less BB.

Anyway, I think your option would be a 2nd hand Phil Wood Bb and then buy the Raleigh cups to go with t (which are available). Are there any BB manufacturers who make Phil Wood cup compatible BB's at a reasonable price? That'd be perfect.
Other option is a Mavic threadless which are easy to install, but rare and going up in price.
There are currently two on eBay.
I have one I could give away karma but it needs a service and new bearings - rough as a ninja as it is now. Not sure about size.

I'd put a wanted ad up on MTB section for a Phil Wood.

Hope this helps and I ally would like to see some pics you have of your frame and build!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very nice, like it a lot. Id would trim the gear cable a bit though!. great looking old machine.

Spokesmann":f2dy97pr said:
Very nice, like it a lot. Id would trim the gear cable a bit though!. great looking old machine.

Thanks Mike!
appreciate all the help, inspiration and motivation!
I will snip that white outer shorter and trim the rest - I've left that half done as I'm expecting a new rear mech - the short cage V Luxe version.

So all I've got left to do (apart from replacing the rear mech and sorting the gear cable) will be (once arrived) attach the lovely TA bottle cage downtube clamp and TA bottle cage - oh, and adjust the brakes.

Do you reckon this old girl would be worthy of an entry in October's rBoTM? (once finished?)

ibbz":35x6xmr7 said:

I think I'm going to go for the Velo threadless.It seems like it will solve all my problems. However, the real task is getting the fixed cup off the frame.
It seems pretty stuck on there. Thanks so much for your help. I will gladly send som pics through, although by no means is it going to be as beautiful a restoration as your project.

L

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Always worth entering! As Ive said before I fed up seeing forensically prepared bikes that are never ridden hanging off walls in the RBoTM event. I'd like to see more 'real' bikes - warts and all and not machines that look like they have been in bubble wrap most of their lives!

I couldn't agree more with your comments, lets see more real bikes please

liam_lees":15wc09pn said:
ibbz":15wc09pn said:

I think I'm going to go for the Velo threadless.It seems like it will solve all my problems. However, the real task is getting the fixed cup off the frame.
It seems pretty stuck on there. Thanks so much for your help. I will gladly send som pics through, although by no means is it going to be as beautiful a restoration as your project.

L
No worries man, I hope you can start a build thread here as it'd be great to see your bike and what you've done so far!
Share you going to do about the stuck cup?

Latest posts

Back