Magura HS33 overhaul

andy.l

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Bought some HS33's from Floyd as i reckon V-brakes on the Lavadome would be a bit useless in heavy mud which my local trails have turned into following our glorious summer,anyway they were ok but as you know by now i cant leave anything alone so decided to overhaul them,lol

Heres what they were like,ok but had some chips and digs etc..

100_2552.jpg

100_2554.jpg

100_2556.jpg

100_2557.jpg

So,took them into work,stripped them down,packed out the slave cylider bores as to not damage the threads and water blasted them with fine glass ball peen,a coat of satin black later('ol favorite) and some green (wet) koolstop pads and things started to look better,clamps were done the same and the lever cylinders were cleaned of gunk and got a Goodridge braided hose kit from CRC and this is the result so far,havnt got around to doing the levers yet,got to squeeze that in between making my Ark and collecting 2 of each animal and the rain :roll:

Got some fresh Mag oil to bleed when done

100_2559.jpg

100_2560.jpg

100_2561.jpg

will update when ive done more/finished ;)

As usual......amazing resto chap ;)

Was tempted by those hoses myself, are they a good length? Will they saw up your frame?

Theyre a good length yes mate,ive got some small o-rings to fit around the hose where it meets the frame as i was worried about losing paint

Andy, you are a genius making old stuff looking good afterwards, these brake's looked fantastic now. :)

Finally finished them off ready for my Cornwall trip,was going to paint the levers white but all black looks fine,not sure if ive got the slave cylinder hose around the right way and no boosters atm as they foul on the braid,will make some small spacers but they work fine. :D

100_2580.jpg

100_2581.jpg

100_2583.jpg

100_2586.jpg

100_2585.jpg

100_2589.jpg

Really nice job mate!

Need to finish stripping and then respray mine, although they are going to have to go back on the RC100 half stripped for the weekend, im planning on using it at the London freewheel.

Great job.

Just a question though. On the front brakes (and the rear for that matter) the elbow that's resting against the fork brace - I usually have this pointing down, so it's resting against the leg, rather than the brace as you have it. Have I done it right? It just strikes me it doesn't leave you much mud clearance the way you've done it...

More andy.l. magic :D need to see some more pics of the kona now

Back