trail gator tag along thing

gump

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Looking to get something like this or a std tag a long so we can finally get out riding as a family. My wifes just scared she will look silly on it ;)
Anyway..
Has anyone tried one of these?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %26otn%3D9

Looking at it, it seems the whole bike + kid weight is cantilevered off the seatpost. If right, this seems like a cack idea to me with such a long moment.
Anyone know if this is how it works or any comments?

ta!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Looks O.k to me Andy, infact i think its a better idea than the version where the childs bike has no front wheel.
At least with that 1 you can stow the arm away and let the nipper free ;)

I use it :

main.php

it is not bad . but very heavy to steer and brake .

cchris2lou":3gffvopc said:
I use it :

it is not bad . but very heavy to steer and brake .

..and thats just the pro-flex :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:roll: sorry :oops:

So it works OK then Chris? I am guessing that any tag along will be a good bit of leg strength training!
Maybe best I take off the Tune seatpost I guess :?

yes , it is ok .
it does mark the seat post quite a bit .

I bought mine in decathlon .

Is it height adjustable? ie if I put an ickle bike on the back, can I adjust how high the wheel is off the ground, or is it determined by clamp on my seatpost?

Also, how robust are they? Guessing wheels off ground is a no, but how much bumpy stuff seems ok? Prolly only go on smoother forest and hardpack stuff, but you never know.. :)

Seem to be between £30-£40 on the net, so cheaper than a tag along and you end up with their bike too if they want to ride.

yes , you can adjust height a little .

I use it on road and fire roads . but would not be confident on bumpy stuff .

I bought it as he already had a bike . you block their steering too .

and it is very very heavy

Some people have had problems with them working loose.

I had a tag-along, which was OK but heavy and also definitely had the "tail wagging the dog" feeling about it. I swapped to a small size tandem (Dawes Kickback 2 MTB tandem, which has a 13" back) bought secondhand - and of course retro.

With shorter cranks (from Highpath) then my 5 year old just fits. The tandem is WAY faster, and has much better handling and stability. Brakes were standard cantis and a bit alarming, now solved with Maguras. We used kiddy cranks for a brief time at first before he could reach.

We have now done rides up to 25 miles on fire roads, so far conquered every hill and have a whale of a time.

PM me if you want some pics or other advice.

I bought a second hand 'tag-a-long' and they are great fun.

However, use it at your own risk. When I fitted mine to the Chameleon I too thought it seemed a huge sideways strain on the post and thus top tube/seat-tube weld junction. Too risky for me to maybe crack my beloved so now only use it on the old Orange.

Posted a topic on this on STW a couple of months back and stories of a few cracked welds on frames came to light.

Back