Re: Help!! Is this an Orange??

Thanks for the link archemist that was informative. I travelled from cheshire to southampton for that frame paid £50 for it.
Worth every penny.

Does anyone else have an Orange with 2 'A's in the serial number. :?:

brocklanders023":1549b6gq said:
emjay":1549b6gq said:
Thanks for all the info folks.
Just going back about the serial number issue my 93 clockwork also has a letter A in the middle of the number.

Just to muddy the waters even more, that's not a 93 Clockwork. More like a 89 or 90 with those frame details and decals.

I was told my old Vit T was one of the only original Vit's with a 1 1/8th head tube so the alu bike could be an E2. Orange tended to change certain details on each production run so early 199X bikes often had slight differences to the later 199X frames.

My guess would be they changed the E2 a few times to try and cure the problems but gave up in the end and produced the E3.
I would have thought that the frame number would dictate the year of the bike rather than the paint finish and decals. This may have been repainted in the past from it's (I think) original silver/blue phase. BITD I had a 94 Clockwork and had it resprayed metallic blue with orange Orange decals. If the frame number is suspect wouldn't that call into question every bike Orange have produced?

It's earlier then a 1993 because of the frame details, the decals and paint simply back this up.

3 key points show this:

1- The seat stay joins the seat tube below the level of the top tube. Post 1991ish frames joined at the same point.
2- The head tube is short and the top tube level. Once again, post 1991ish the head tube got longer and there was a slight drop on the top tube.
3- The rear cable guide has a hole in it, like the Prestige. By 1993 this was solid on the Clockwork.

With the serial number I think that may point towards it being a 1989. That would explain why it's not in the 199X layout.

The grey bike below is my old 1993, the orange/white bike my old 1989 and the orange/white frame my old 1992.

Attachments

• DSC00509.JPG
    DSC00509.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 344
  • Clockwork 006.jpg
    Clockwork 006.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 344
  • DSCF1226.JPG
    DSCF1226.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 344

Going back to the "A" in the serial numbers of both bikes, Could that stand for "Amendment" which applies that changes have been made to the frames.

Of course this is just a suggestion.

emjay":31thvzjf said:
Going back to the "A" in the serial numbers of both bikes, Could that stand for "Amendment" which applies that changes have been made to the frames.

Of course this is just a suggestion.
Sensible suggestion.

I know this is an old post, but I have just found out the true identity of my "Orange".
It is actually a Ribble R4, badged up as an Orange.
Just spotted one on eBay, and it's identical in every way. Did a little search on here for the R4 and found one or two members with them.

Finally closure!
It's still being used though in the garage as a trainer with road tyres on it.
First thing now is to take the Orange decals off it and replace them with the original Ribble decals. Well copies of the originals.

Re:

Is it too late to ask for a refund? ;-)

And also what does that suggest about the frame number on the other bike?

Re: Re:

Kell":mo6lzrrq said:
Is it too late to ask for a refund? ;-)

And also what does that suggest about the frame number on the other bike?
lol
Oh yea, i can just see it now, going back eighteen years later, to the house you think you bought the bike from, banging on the door demanding your money back, only to find out its been turned into a refuge center for neglected cats and dogs. :facepalm:

Regarding your other point, i recently recall reading about another clockwork with an A in the middle so i feel safe to say that my clockwork is genuine.

Latest posts

Back