Rebuilding my '97 Stumpjumper - Finished UPDATE 31.07.09

That looks very nice! Cool colour! :shock:

...and I think you've gotten away with putting P2's on a non-Kona! :D

singlespeed conversion

Love the build

Question: I have an Orange Clockwork that is waiting for a respray & to
go singlespeed I assumed I was going to need my framebuilder to put on track ends...It looks like you didn't need to...

Any advise appreciated.

James

Thanks for your comments!!! :D

Regarding the seat: As mentioned, I chose function over form, but I might put my old Titec Bontrager Kevlar Titanium seat on...

The color is Renault beige. Think it's from their late 70's line.

Regarding the chain length. I took a chance, and had a selection of 32 and 34 chainrings, plus 16 and 17 freewheels and a halflink chain.
With 32 in the front, 16 in the back gave me a little too much chain. The 17 works perfectly, and is great when you're off road. So there's a bit of luck, and some experiments involved, but it worked out just fine! :LOL:

Sorry for the crappy mobilephone picture.
Just wanted to let you know that the Stumpjumper had its dirt-debut.
Worked perfectly, silent and nice.

Just added new grips: Spank Chocolate w. gold lockrings. :cool:

stump7.jpg

Neil G":39w4xwcc said:
Not too keen on the snowflake rear wheel but rest looks great

I agree... It looks wrong. :oops: My intention was to have a regular 3X wheel, but somehow I got the wrong length of spokes, and I was so keen on getting the bike together, that I chose to twist the spokes to get the wheel built. It will be 3X very soon I hope.

Stunning build.

I am halfway through building something almost identical: 1996 Stumpjumper. I spotted your finished bike in a google search. Mine will be very similar: Alfa Romeo off white, P2 forks, riser bars, single speed, etc. Some different components (Middleburn cranks) but a very very similar look. Crazy coincidence!

Paul :)

Re: Re:

KINK":8854jzp3 said:
I prefer it clean and minimal. Less is more :)

I agree that less is more but when it comes to bikes less (as in without decals) is boring.

Back