1990 Fat Chance Yo Eddy ... advice for future trade bait??

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Another gem fell into my lap. A first generation 1990 (Y Code) Yo Eddy frame.

I already have 1993 Yo I am terrified to ride due to its value. I'm going to restore this frame to offer as high end trade bait for something I don't have.

The frame is in good shape. Just a wee cosmetic ding I will fill and a problem solver fix issue with the rear derailleur dropout that was already sorted by the original owner. A survivor :)

I'm going to strip it and do a full restore of the frame like I did with my 1993.

Are there any short comings with the original Yo's?? I can sort them while I have it bare metal.

Any advice??

Advice? Build it up and ride it. If you have one you are "terrifed" of riding, why don't you use this one as your daily bike?

rolondo":1t1wr66b said:
Advice? Build it up and ride it. If you have one you are "terrifed" of riding, why don't you use this one as your daily bike?

This is what I would do as well :)

As for things to check, I can't think of much else for early Yo's other than the usual seat tube rust, especially around the base of the tube where it meets the BB shell. This reminds me that I really need to dig out my Wicked from the garage..

Re:

So far this one seems ok rust wise ... Better than my 1993, but we'll see when the paint come off.

I think terrified might have been the wrong word. I ride my 1993 but it's not really enjoyable because I worry about damaging it too much. If I ride my brodie or one of my specialized bikes I hit the trail almost as hard as I do on my modern mtb. That's riding to me.

I don't think I'll build it up. I get attached quick, but I'm trying hard not to. Like I said, maybe I can turn it into another high end frame that has yet to grace my bike stand :D

mkozaczek":3eofupfh said:
FYI the Y serial was the 2nd run, Z serials were the very first batch.

Ya ... read that on mombat. I was just going first Gen by year. Assuming 1990 was the first year.

Are there any differences in design between Z and Ys?

Re:

If a keeper then refurb and it will stay a rarely ridden garage queen or do not refurb at all but just build as a regular rider keeping the patina

If to be parted out then I wouldn't spend a penny on it as we all know you rarely get your full money back

Not sure, I can compare a Y and a Z I have here and see. Definitely a few small changes in welding style and headtubes (at least that I've seen) on 90 and other years.

They had small rolling changes year over year and then larger changes (new tubing etc.) in the later years.

shamobius":sthi8evq said:
I'll trade you a Boulder Intrepid AL for it ;)...

I knew that was coming :LOL:

KDM":sthi8evq said:
If a keeper then refurb and it will stay a rarely ridden garage queen or do not refurb at all but just build as a regular rider keeping the patina

If to be parted out then I wouldn't spend a penny on it as we all know you rarely get your full money back

I have sold/traded quite a few restored frames ... depends on the frame. I was thinking more for trade value. If you want a good piece you need to have a good piece.

mkozaczek":sthi8evq said:
Not sure, I can compare a Y and a Z I have here and see. Definitely a few small changes in welding style and headtubes (at least that I've seen) on 90 and other years.

They had small rolling changes year over year and then larger changes (new tubing etc.) in the later years.

I did notice that difference in the headtube compared to my friends 1991 and my 1993. I have shimano dropouts on the 1990. The 1991 and 1993 I have seen are campy. Same basic spirit though.

Is the sizing different or just the measurement? I think my 17" 1990 and 18" 1993 seem almost identical.

Back