Raleigh Catalogue 1973 and 1974/5

Just read this and it's a superb thread.
Owner of a 1972 Critter so will surely be asking for some advice soon spokesmann!

ibbz":2bnkpf8a said:
Owner of a 1972 Critter so will surely be asking for some advice soon spokesmann!

Happy to be of service, Sir!

Spokesmann":39lf067i said:
ibbz":39lf067i said:

Happy to be of service, Sir!

I've started a Carlton Criterium thread on the road forum where I've linked the frame.
Do you by chance have the full spec list of the '72 model?
What size bottom bracket and wheels? What cranks and Bb are on the pro equipe model?

Thanks

BB would be a standard Raleigh set up with english threading, I don't have my Criteriums here at the moment as they re at the other house. Ill measure the spindle length when I get a moment. This would vary depending on 5 or 10 speed. The mauve machines were 5 speed, blue for the 10s. Rear mech Simplex Prestige, brakes Weinmann SPs with Carlton branded hooded levers, bar and stem GB, chainwheel would be steel cottered, 49 tooth with 170mm cranks and steel Lyotard or similar pedals. Wheels would have been 27" steel Rigida rims.

A few more gems added to this long running thread...

P9143597_zps9fxgzmws.jpg

P9143596_zps3wjbqczl.jpg

Intro to the 73/74 catalogue...
P9143595_zpsjm6hsvrh.jpg

P9143594_zpsichjkjcb.jpg

P9143593_zpsbiibgg1w.jpg

P9143592_zpsmxgon0rf.jpg

P9143590_zpsien7zkgl.jpg

P9143591_zps7crvytci.jpg

P9143589_zpsxdyhkvrc.jpg

P9143587_zpskmbdiooq.jpg

Re:

Wonderful catalogues - so evocative and what really strikes me is how brilliant the photography is - the colour and punchiness of the scenes - they remind one of idealic summer Holidays - down to the Film stock used no doubt - a lot has been lost with bland digital photography.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
What lovely pictures of a past time, they evoke memories of my youth. Thanks for posting them Spokemann.

I remember my first "real" bike, bought new as a birthday present for me by my parents in the late 60's. it was a Sun Strada in yellow. 19.5" frame with 26x1/14" wheels. I went everywhere on it and loved it to death.. I even fitted a Campagnolo rear mech., bought from HO Smith in my then local town Doncaster. The chap who ran the place was really helpful as I remember. Tony I think.

Incidentally, If anyone has spec details of a Sun Strada,It would be nice if you would share them with me on here. I think mine was from 1969, Great memories.

Wow what a great topic ! Those catalog are super nice :)
I wonder if someone remember the prices of those bikes at that time, I've got a Corsa waiting to be restored and it'd be nice to compare the price of it at that time to the market value today, just out of curiosity :)

Back