I nearly took a cyclist out tonight...

The single most visible thing that marks you out as a cyclist are pedal reflectors, Shimano still do them for SPD's.

They are the best thing when being approached from behind to show what you are.

White light on the front.

Red LED on the rear constant and maybe a flashing one too.

It's so bloody dangerous anyway I'd rather not though!

My 40W Lupines are back at the shop at the mo as the electronics in the switch have failed, so I'm having to do with my old 10w Vistalites are the moment for commuting, and I can't wait to get back to the Lupines. Feel so much safer with them. Almost more than in daylight as cars can see you well in their mirors coming from behind them. I'm being a lot more careful with overtaking etc until I get the Lupines back.

LEDs are technically illegal I heard because you are supposed to have a 'bulb' light. The reason you are supposed to have a bulb light was to get rid of those chemical/real flame lights they used to have years ago.

Cateye make a front and a rear LED light now that meet British standards but I think you are still legally only supposed to run them in steady mode.

Front: Cateye HL EL300
Rear: Cateye TL AU100

When I come up behind bikes at night in my car I agree that the first thing I see are the pedal reflectors and any moving white reflective stripes on the legs, before I notice the bike lights usually.
In built up areas , even though the flashing white front lights are bright and a bit distracting I find they are very noticable and the bike rider's light doesn't just merge in with the rest of the city light sources. So they are more likely to get you noticed and stop people pulling out infront of you accidently.

Just to clarify this one because it appears to be running away with itself - you are now legally allowed to ride with flashing lights after the CTC successfully campaigned to have the law changed.

The problem is that flashing may be brighter, but you can't tell distance. Do yourself a favour and ride with one flashing and one solid light on the rear.

As for being seen - I agree that the most dangerous place is actually somewhere moderately well lit, because you just don't stand out like you would in the pitch black or the daytime.

I came to the conclusion that for my commute which is a mix of lit roads and black country roads best thing is..

- Flashy white LED on front
- 20W Cateye on front
- Small flashy red LED with side LEDS rear
- Constant red LEDs on rear
- Hi Viz stick on stuff (black in day, but white with light - stealth, but works great!) on seatstays, seatpost, helmet, forks.

And best of all - keep your eyes open and expect everyone hasn't seen you and act accordingly.

Back