80's 531 Pro Keith Coppell

velocipede

Senior Retro Guru
I bought this from it's original owner, who had it built by Keith back in the 80's.

Used mainly for TT's, it's not had a hard life, although the paint work is pretty chipped all over but no rust.

When I removed the BB, it was like new in there!

It's in 531 Pro tubing…..the lugwork and particularly the seat cluster is all lovely on it…..

I've uploaded a few pics below, to show the bare frame and the kit of parts to go back on which includes a really nice set of Shimano 600 Deerhead cranks, a 600AX seat post and front mech and some lovely Mavic 500 hubbed wheels. It also has a Bernard Hinault branded white Turbo - I've seen these on a couple of Coppells so can only assume that Keith was an Hinault fan (who isn't??). I have some Conelli 65's and a brand new Nitto Pearl stem to go on it.

One problem I have is I don't have the right tool for the Shmano 600 headset, which could do with a degrease,

The Shimano 105 levers have got polish all over them, and a bit on the frame, in the pics in case you're wondering what that is….!

Anyway, I'm planning on selling this so look out for it on the classifieds…..

So some pics……

Untitled by velocipede65, on Flickr

Re:

Very nice, he loved building frames, it was his passion for a very long time and he had been a cyclist himself since the age of about 16.

If you re-spray and need any Keith Coppell transfers let me know, I have plenty

Thanks

Paula

Re:

I have a 600 headset on a Peugeot 753. With the stem out a 32 mm socket fits snugly and you can easily loosen the nut, the same socket that fits the Shimano splined BB tool and one of the less common Campag BB tools. Just checked - a neat solution.

That's a great looking frame. Regarding the Shimano headsets I confess I just used to use normal headset spanners on my Dura Ace one.

Mark.

Thanks Mark - I might have a look at that, but was a bit worried about chewing the alloy - will take it easy if I do! Cheers

Re:

You're sure it is 54cm square?

You couldn't have misread 56 for 54 maybe? Not wearing your reading glasses possibly.

No? Ahh well.

GLWS.

I've just measured it again - and it's actually 55cm centre to top on the seat tube and 54cm centre to centre top…..

Back