1999 Schwinn Homegrown Elite

Bullpup

Senior Retro Guru
I was browsing my local Gumtree the other day looking for a Zaskar with no luck and stumbled on an advert for a Schwinn Homegrown frame albeit in a far too large 21" size.

Looking at the photos it seemed remarkably complete - in fact only missing the forks and wheels. The frame was dripping in XTR, XT and LX so I decided to buy it any way.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on these - does anyone know anything about them?

Anyhow here it is as found in it's Bass Boat Green splendour:

They're great bikes. I have a 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory Team (the 7005 Easton aluminum, Yeti made one). Back then those were some of the best aluminum hard-tails on the market. The green one is the Schwinn Homegrown Elite (6061 aluminum, probably welded at Contol-Tech, not as light as the factory team one but still decent). originally had a yellow Judy fork in. here's the catalog page. interestingly yours seem to have the elusive Hayes 22mm mount rear disc caliper (if it works fine you can upgrade it to full disc really easy). catalog bike didn't have discs, so it was an upgrade.

Attachments

• 1999_13.jpg
    1999_13.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 1,516
Great information thank you.

It seems pretty close to catalogue with the exception of the Hayes brakes and some sort of suspension seatpost:

All you need is a Judy and a set of disc wheels then you're ready to go! Love the hammer steering tube replacement!

I see you use yours as a commuter - which is what I am considering - are you running rigid forks if so what a-c please?

Regarding wheels I have a front Mavic 717 disc on a Hope XC which I will try to match.

I'm running my 2001 Schwinn Homegrown as a commuter (but as a trail bike as well). The '99 one is now my wife's trail bike (even though it's a little big for her).
The '99 one is more or less stock (with exception of the wheels, but runs a '99 SID up-front). The 2001 one (it's the gold anodized team frame) is a complete bastard of parts from various times. I run a Look Fournales linkage fork on that one. All my bikes have front suspension on them. For a rigid fork I would say try to match the Axle to Crown of a '99ish Judy or SID (should be fairly easy to find those measurements).

Re:

One of my mates has a blue one of these, and has it built up with a series of nice parts from a Giant XTC from the last couple of years. I'll try to get a pic to post up if you're interested.

Re: Re:

marcus_5":3ewruv0s said:
One of my mates has a blue one of these, and has it built up with a series of nice parts from a Giant XTC from the last couple of years. I'll try to get a pic to post up if you're interested.
Yes please

Re:

Well first things first I decided to ascertain the condition of the brakes on the basis that if they are knackered I will have to re-think the build. Knowing I don't have the right bleed kit for Hayes, I took the bike to my excellent local LBS who did the job while I waited. Much to my delight, they may be old, they be poorly regarded but they work. Result!

Latest posts

Back