1998 Bontrager Privateer S ~ Evo II

theboy

Senior Retro Guru
Although not really VRC by my own standards, it is a ten year old bike with no suspension, so I guess it counts.

Hoping this turns out as nice riding as my previous Bontrager (a proper one!) and then she will be my main winter rider. Finished except for the possible upgrading of the cassette and a pair of kevlar tyres.

Frame: 98 Bontrager Privateer 'S'

Fork: Kona P2 (painted to match, lucky find on eBay!)

Headset: Ringle Slamma Jamma
Stem: Control Tech
Handlebar: Control Tech
Grips: Yeti speed

Brakes: XTR M950
Brake Cables: Nokon
Brake Levers: XTR M950

Shifters: Gripshift SRT 800 X-Ray Mk2
Front Derailleur: XTR M950
Rear Derailleur: XTR M950
Derailleur Cables: Nokon
Cassette: Shimano 8 speed
Chain: KMC 8 speed
Cranks: XTR M950
Chainrings: XTR M950
Bottom Bracket: XTR M950
Pedals: Crank Bros Candy

Hub Skewers: Control Tech Ti
Rims: Mavic 217 SUP
Hubs: White Industries Ti
Tyres: Specialized Team Control/Master

Saddle: Bontrager C30
Seatpost: Control Tech
Seatpost Binder: Salsa

Extras: Ringle H20 cage; Bontrager chainsuck device; Bontrager seatpost clamp protector (a piece of inner tube); "downhill bikes dont make you cool" sticker

Weight: Lightish, can lose a bit, but its pretty good.

Attachments

• DSC00165.JPG
    DSC00165.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 3,000
  • DSC00164.JPG
    DSC00164.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 3,000
Nice.

What's the tube set on the Privateer & how does it sit in the range compared to the Race Light etc.?

Bob -

its True Temper OX2 - The Privateer S is the lighter version of the Privateer - both models were post-trek buyout models, and replaced the Race/Racelite. Im not that fussed about it being a Trek one, as it has a 1 1/8" head tube, but the same geometry and tube set as teh earlier bikes, its true that they are a great riding bike. Oh and the other difference between the standard Privateer and the S models is that the S ones came with some funky two tone paint jobs (this one being my favourite!)

P20 -

Its a Small I think, but may be XS?

Bontrager

It might not be a real Bontrager but thats my fave colour scheme V.V.Nice machine and i nearly bought one like it about a year or so ago but some git on here gazumped me by offering more than the asking price. Come on own up, who was it? who was it? :twisted: :D

Was it the large one? a bit tatty? belonged to Dave (sadexpunk) - the forks on mine were his he sprayed to match... that frame went for a song too! (sorry Stew)

Back