Is it worth doing up?

strip everything out and start from scratch, replace all the seized parts, re paint, rust treat, re build, you'll have the bike for another 20

drystonepaul":3p8cz9ab said:
In my opinion most bikes are worth rescuing to some degree. Often though it's not really cost effective to completely restore them to mint condition.
While most things are fixable given enough time, effort and money, it's also an option to keep the patina and halt any further deterioration. There's a whole spectrum of approaches in between.

I'm also not really a fan of modernising old bikes, I'd prefer to keep their character and characteristics.
If you want modern features and components then get a modern bike.

I've always thought that steel framed 90's Kona would be fantastic with modern components as you can't buy a current steel Kona frame, unless you're happy with something that's around 30lb stock.

jamabikes":2nd5awz5 said:
my option would be to spend the money on a different bike and hang it up. commuting kills bikes.

Communting only kills bikes if you don't look after them properly. They need proper cleaning and lubing every week and the kit needs to be durable much like any bike (or car for that matter). My 96 CC frame has been going strong for over 2 years now.

Well seeing as I have been on e-bay and having started buying bits I guess I've decided. When I bought the frame I thought I was getting the orange one (92-93) but ended up with the new colour, slate grey. I think I'll try and get it painted in the orange. Does anyone know how I can find out the correct colour? I have had a frame restorer recommended to me in Rotherham (I think) he might know but I'd like to be sure.

A colleague of mine has a collection of Girvin forks and spares, they looked soooo cool at the time. I stuck with rigid forks until I moved on the a Whyte PRST-1 with a similar fork design.

It was the commuting that did for the frame, I had been mountain biking on it for seven years without so much as a spot of rust but then a year of commuting made a real mess.

An old post revived!
I've done it up. Got it resprayed in metal flake black (nice) added some (modern) red hope quick releases to complement the red bars, sourced some nice period XT kit and a brand new Deore crankset with external bearings (at £50 I couldn't say no), some new hand built wheels with modern commuter style tyres, a silver Thomson seat post to match the silver original stem and red and black Charge Spoon seat to finish it off. So it's not original but it's been saved and rides as well as it ever did and is now my daily ride. On I forgot, Paul's component cantis in black and I spent an age stripping and polishing the rear brake booster so that is silver now too.

P.s. the seat post was melted out in the end! It took me an age to clean up the seat tube with files and grinding paperr to get it back to a good condition to take the new post.
P.p.s I'll post some pics at some point.
P.p.p.s. The headset still works loose, same was it always did.

If you are commuting, the biggest single thing to help keep the bike in good condition is a set of mudguards. It keeps much of the bike clean of salt, especially the headset and seat tube / seatpost.
You also don't arrive looking and feeling like a swamp thing.

I would probably run a commuter as a singlespeed for simplicity's sake but that depends hugely on where you live, and how far you intend to ride - it wouldn't be much fun in Sheffield or Bath.

Back