Kona King Kikapu - New-build Post Shakedown

JakeStockwell

Dirt Disciple
Hello All! Some photos of my first full sus machine. A King Kikapu rigged out with a variety of cheap(ish) components from PinkBike, Chain Reaction, and good old EBay... Haven't gone with a period component mindset so sorry to those who might be offended. These shots were after a shakedown run with the hounds around the local fields. A beautiful sunny morning to experience the beautiful plushness of full suspension; what a revelation! Hammering across terrain that previously would have been taken at a cautious, jouncing pace is very liberating. I predict lots of fun ahead! Only dot on the horizon is the tightening of the suspension causing the gears to change when pedaling across bouncy singletrack. Is this where clutches / chain-guides come in?

Beautiful weather = getting back out there! ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_6985.jpg
    IMG_6985.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_6969.jpg
    IMG_6969.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_6979.jpg
    IMG_6979.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_6981.jpg
    IMG_6981.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_6982.jpg
    IMG_6982.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_6984.jpg
    IMG_6984.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_6986.jpg
    IMG_6986.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 502
Good point re: the QR; Too busy thinking about the trail while building, & on that note I wondered why the steering was so heavy & of course I'd fitted the front wheel the wrong way around... *SlapsForehead* Really happy with the frame & I got an orange '98 front triangle too, so thinking about getting a rear triangle fabricated as they're Hens Teeth!

Re:

Jake that's a beautiful build and so glad you love her.

She was my pride and joy for many manu years and I'm so pleased you've done her proud.

She really couldn't be in better hands

Thanks for showing me the pics it was hard to let her go

Cheer buddy

Re:

Here`s my one one and I love it.Regularly shows the modern stuff a clean pair of heels.Mine is almost stock but obviously had to replace worn bits over the years.One of the best full sussers of all time.A keeper.

Attachments

• DSCF1484.JPG
    DSCF1484.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 453
Back