Is this retro?

Imo (which means sweet FA) once a ride reaches say 10 years old it becomes retro, Reason being retro is an ever evolving state. If it is from XXXX year to XXXX year its more period.

At least he is out riding and not worrying about getting his tyres dirty :LOL: , nice bike mate and welcome to the forum

At least he is out riding and not worrying about getting his tyres dirty

Hey! those NOS Butterscotch Tioga Psycho's stashed under the bed are going to be used some day!

'retro', 'vintage', 'classic' are not easily definable terms, each to their own, if you want an interesting discussion/heated argument go to MTBR - the retrobike ethos appears to be the equivalent of 'run what you brung', and its all the better for it.

my tuppence hapenny worth

This conversation is retro, IMO anything from any period can be retro if it personifies a time past. For instance alot of indie builders bikes have retro qualities, the GT in the thread discussing the required standard of bike to be worthwhile restoring :roll: is retro. My stumpjumper FSR though old is not retro and neither is this trek I'm afraid.

IMO of course :D

I've 2 bikes from 98 and one of them is a Trek (of the carbon Y frame variety) and it's had generally a positive reception on this site - the other is a canadian made steel hardtail that I've yet to post a picy of on here yet as it has a baby seat on the back of it and I just can't bring myself to photograph it like that!

I think '98 was the first year Trek made welded aluminium frames after many years of selling bonded aluminum bikes. Not much changed in the look of these bikes for a few years afterwards... until they started using hydroformed tubes (?) in the last couple of years. Maybe that is why it looks so 'modern' because you put it next to a '04 bike and not much has changed, where as you put my '98 Trek next to the suspension bikes Trek was making in '04 and mine looks 'retro'.... well it does to me anyway.

I have noticed a bit of brand bias on this site... anything startling with 'K' seems to get the juices bubbling!

Latest posts

Back