update to the king...

dookie

Kona Fan
new cranks, bars (syncros ti), stem, fork...primarily for the cosmetics, also so i could reuse the old 85mm reba elsewhere and get closer to the intended length on this one (now 80mm, spec was 75mm?). orange/black/white/silver works a lot better than the previous orange/red/silver.

kona.jpg

you haven't seen my ape-like build. short of custom, for me most frames fit either the legs or the torso...not both. i've been riding 130-150mm stems for 20 years, and have been professionally fit more than once. that's a 130 up there, same as i've always used on this frame. thanks for the suggestion, but it works wonderfully for me.

Nice to see you like a bit of Orange, that seat reminds me a bit of the one I have.
Think your build must be similar to mine too, tend to use a layback post to enable a shorter stem to be used, but guess its all down to personal preference.
Nearly forgot to say, lovely bike :D
Rich

Attachments

• 0c84_1 (Small).jpg
    0c84_1 (Small).jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,013
orange saddles are indeed hard to come by! i just scored another identical flite recently, so i have a spare. always on the lookout. thanks to rock shox for the multi-colored decals included with the new SIDs (orange, as well as pink/green/red), and thanks to you for the kind words about the bike...until recently my only XC bike, and still the favourite unless the terrain is brutal.

Huntso":26l62geu said:
...tend to use a layback post to enable a shorter stem to be used...

according to my fit guru, it all starts with the relationship between saddle and bottom bracket. you get that set and then adjust horizontal length either with the frame (TT length) or stem. admittedly, i could use more TT and less stem...but that's a bit harder to change! a bigger frame is one possibility, but then the standover becomes a challenge for my stumpy legs. only other option is custom. joe murray designs them pretty long and low to begin with, so kona/voodoo fit me better than most.

which is also to say that i can't just slam the saddle back, or go to a setback post, to increase the horizontal reach. puts me way too far behind the BB. setback posts are for long femurs, which mine are decidedly not!

Very nice, very clean and a clour scheme just a bit different from most. I like it a lot, and that saddle is just the cherry, well done!!

As for the standover issue, it looks like here's more post sticking out above the TT than that the pedals are off the ground in the lowest point. Either I am missing something or you should fit a larger frame too. Mind you 130 stem is not outrageous, depends a bit on steering geometry. Typically the combination of a long stem and a long fork takes you away from the intended handling. But you may actually like it that way.

About the forks, I try and not read too much in 80 or 85mm nominal travel, what matters is the axle to top of crown length (A-C). One model 85mm forks can be shorter than another model at 75mm. Marzocchi one year changed the A-C on a whole line of forks without changing the travel by adopting a new crown. And I try and always measure A-C with the rider on the bike to account for sag.

Enjoy!!

Back