2011 Cotic BFe - All mountains!

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've been doing a lot of experimenting with moderns since I got back into biking in 2003, I've taken a bit of a BMXy route with choices, getting back into retro bike trail riding since 2007 has got me back to me roots! :cool: I've been pondering options for a few years looking for upcoming temptations. The BFe amongst other options offered a bit of a best of both worlds. I also had some Z1 RC2 ETA 150mm Anniversary forks made in Italy that I bought on a whim for my forgotten Full susser build. So a union was made to get a rugged hardtail rolling!

P3282162.jpg

Play bike got unbuilt (for now ;) )

P3202146.jpg

:cool: best of both worlds base, chunky 631 and 853.
P4242246.jpg

BFe frame comes in at a respectable weight and CEN tested strength for upto 160mm forks so super tough.

P4242243.jpg

P4242247.jpg

Chunky and dependable beasts. Might upgrade to lighter Rock Shox Revs when I'm flush (never then! :D )

P4242248.jpg

Simple and effective old bars, and 60mm stem (length under review)

P4242249.jpg

I didn't want to put a mix of old 8 speed on it and I've no ISCG05 guard so a fully new 9 speed set up is the plan later in the year... Comments on gear choice options welcome. :)
the current 38/17 seems OK though i'll pe pushing up some hills. and it leaves the rear quite light.

First impressions it's good, strong and surefooted, I'll be testing it properly this summer, and plotting any changes.

seems quite a mish mash
but there is just something about it :cool:

maybe consider an x9 setup in the year

I really like that, would be ace with a 9 speed block up back and a saint mech.

Think I may have to try out a similar build :D

Thanks Neil, Thats the idea either Saint/SLX/XT bits I reckon gears will be good for it and since 10 speed has come out it will still be retro :p :cool:

As for 'mish mash' suppose there is 6 years collection of bits on it and on photos it does seem colourful! Bits that were thought out at the time of purchase, and some are brand new for this build; Hope headset, Nuke Proof Seat post, Ti Bel Air etc. We'll see what happens later with other bits, It weighs about 31lbs which is decent for the strengthI'll either gradually lighten it; forks, wheels, etc for AM/XC or keep it tank like versatile for whatever happens! :cool:

Re:

Reeto blast from the past, what's 4 years between friends anyway! I spent at least 2 winters on My DMR Rhythm and sporadically went out, and took it to bits cleaning in it properly 2 years ago, since then had a wee sprog, and shortly after a commuting RTA! :facepalm: :cry: so I've been waiting for this summer (and almost missed it) after fitting some nice trick parts at the end of last year.

It's a great bike with loads of promise sturdy and nice to get on with though it's last build felt more at home downhill - on normal trails.
It was a bit heavy and overbuilt and not quite doing it for me and not hitting the spot for me as a rugged but sensible all round trail machine, so got some new wheels, tyres, wider posher cassette, smaller posher chainring to help climbing, a 50mm Thomson stem, fancy matching seat and grips and some Hope QR's to finish the Britishish attention to detail theme.

I finally got a shake down last week at a local trail. more on that below but it's still not right and I think the forks may be a bit too long really for the geometry which is based on the original Soul (100-140) so keeping the BB high and angles back and forks now after being cleaned and not used for 2 years, sticking or making a loose headset style jarr noise/feel, or not as buttery as they were.
Also I think maybe though I'm tall I have my bars too high keeping weight back too far, so will lower those, considering trying the old 25.4 DMR stem again as it's 60mm along with 750 Funn bars, or Try the 70mm Thomson stem again with 720mm Answer bars... hmm

So dunno if I'll keep it yet or split it or refine it or whatever, but here's the latest pics and spec. :)

Frame: Cotic Bfe MK2?

Fork: Marz Z1 2007 RC2 ETA

Headset: Hope
Stem: Thomson 50mm
Handlebar: Easton Havoc 750mm
Grips: SDG ODI

Brakes: Diatech Anchor with Gusset R rotors

Shifters: XT 9 Speed
Straitline SilentGuide chain device
Rear Derailleur: SLX medium cage 9 Speed
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: XT 9 speed 11-34
Chain: XT?
Cranks: Saint M810
Chainrings: RaceFace NW 34t
Bottom Bracket: Saint M810
Pedals: Wellgo Concave

Hub Skewers: Hope
Rims: Mavic en521
Hubs: Nuke Proof Generator front and Hope Pro 2 rear
Tyres: On One Smorgasbord 60a /Chunky Monkey 50a
Tubes: odd

Saddle: SDG
Seatpost: Nuke proof
Seatpost Binder: Hope

Weight: Under 30?

Re:

Having seen the pics now, it does look quite short and tall. Ther is just something about that Cotic blue with orang parts that just looks so right!

A lower rise bar might help. I run 15mm rise Answer 780's on both bikes to keep the front end down and it does feel better.

130mm is the sweet spot for these. Mine felt good at that travel.

Yeah I was hoping the sag would be enough hence thinking the bars need to go down and possibly forward but mostly down, that'll give a bit of forward. Could look into messing with the forks to lower them to 130 too as another idea. I've got the wide RF Atlas 785 as another option to try too...:)

Re:

I've got the Ragley Blue Pig (similar thing) and although its rated for 140mm forks I prefer them set at 120mm (showing my XC roots)

A do like the Cotic's though :shock:

Same here, I'm really not used to suspension, XC trail from BITD or BMX type thing. I think if I keep it I need to take a good look at the forks, lowering or hunting some tidy old forks.

I've lowered the stem today which I think helps, it was in full on comfort mode with 30mm of spacers so lowered 20mm to just 10. seems to be better from a brief test up the road, and usual kerb bounce test. Some natural sag from the extra front weight.

Latest posts

Back