Project No. 1: Alpinestars Cro-Mega XT '1992 meets 2008'

Hmm... St. Ives - I seem to remember an E-stay Alpine floating around many moons ago - chap worked at Tesco with me - fell into the fishing lake in Fenstanton one frosty winter evening (..mmmm winter, frost....)

Void(EN12-82)":nw0s8w0s said:
lingus75":nw0s8w0s said:
Anyone got one on this site?

Depends, is it the E-stay one or the regular one? I have one of those, the regular one I mean (1990 model??).

Indeed, weighs a ton but somehow I guess this will be around after WW3 or the next global nuclear war ;-) Seems bomb-proof to me...

It was the regular one, I sold it to a bloke from Bristol.....I wonder where it is :?:

Ok I getting there.

The metal work is done and I'm hopeful of picking up the painted frame early next week. My painter has taken a donor decal and has painted the decal with the black 2 pack (same chemical principle as the lacquer) to check for any reaction. If the decal passes I'll decal the frame and take it back for lacquer. If not the frame will remain unlaquered.

As for the build i've got quite a lot to do. The brake hoses need shortening, the headset needs fitting, steerer shortening and the rest needs putting together. Might need to ask very nicely at my LBS to get the brakes and headset done in time for the peaks and to take the strain off me.

I'm delighted that this time next week i'll finally have my bike. I'm a bit sad though that i'll have to rush the build (busy, busy week at work) and might even have to take it straight to the peaks and do my dirty washing in public (shake down etc, nervous that one of mods does'nt come off). I also wanted to take my time and get a goods selection of finished photo's of my creation. But i'm sure it'll all be worth it.

PS: how nice it that cro-mega DX of Mr. K's. Are you riding it next weekend Mr. K?

I do not believe it. The one job you leave them to do and they f*~k it up. I picked the frame up this afternoon and how disappointed I am. I've waited patiently for this frame as you know but the company i've been using for this have rushed it. I left them with one metal working task to do and to paint it. The one job they had to do was to braze on a cable boss on the top tube. I even showed them which way it was mean't to go on, happy with what had been done I decided I'd trust them with this final task and instructed them to get painting ASAP as time was running short. You've guessed they get it the wrong way around and rush the paint so the finish is shite.

I was mean't to take it back tomorrow for lacquer, I don't think so somehow. I'll bodge the top cable for weekend and then they (or someone else with a better attention for detail) can put it right and repaint next week. I think i'll put the decals on and they can pay for replacements later.

Attachments

• 2008_0903astars0005.JPG
    2008_0903astars0005.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 4,422
  • 2008_0903astars0007.JPG
    2008_0903astars0007.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 4,422
  • 2008_0903astars0009.JPG
    2008_0903astars0009.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 4,422
Been a busy night and although i'm less than happy with the paint and the cable boss, I do like it, alot.

Just the King Devolution in silver to fit and the brake hoses to shorten and i'll be at the peaks on Saturday :D

2008_0903astars0010.jpg

2008_0903astars0012.jpg

2008_0903astars0015.jpg

2008_0903astars0018.jpg

2008_0903astars0020.jpg

Seems a million miles away from this:
2008_0521ebay0006.jpg

FINISHED

Had a day off today and got it finished. The headset tool i bought was awesome and by doing a cup at a time I soon got it in with no dramas whatsoever. Cut the steerer too.

Finally the brakes. I've always dreaded messing with hydraulic brakes but there was nothing to it once I'd printed of the instructions from magura.com. So cut the hoses and skimmed/spaced the calpiers to align perfectly.

RIDDEN

Took the bike out for a test in the pouring rain this afternoon. Could not keep the smile off my face despite being soaked. It rides just as I remember, really playful and always wanting to pull a wheelie. A bit twitchy on the front end in the corners I must admit but great fun. Having a bit of trouble down shifting from the middle to inner ring but i'll have a fiddle later. Otherwise with a bit more air in the tyres and forks and it will be ready for tomorrow's peaks event.

THANK YOU

Thanks to all for your help in this project. It might be a bit of a marmite bike on here (because it's modern) but i'm really pleased with it. It's not as perfect as I imagined but it certainly doesn't lack character. Thanks for all the ideas, advice amd encouragement.

2008_0905finished0004.jpg

2008_0905finished0002.jpg

2008_0905finished0005.jpg

2008_0905finished0007.jpg

2008_0905finished0009.jpg

2008_0905finished0011.jpg

2008_0905finished0013.jpg

2008_0905finished0015.jpg
[/img]

Back