1988 Bradbury Manitou (finished pics page 12!)

Re:

aside from being at work reading this.... your really starting to piss me off with those photos^^

I recently rode mine across a lot less rugged ground that that stuff and did this to another wise crack free frame :x

I guess Doug made them lighter and lighter over the years to point whereby they weren't build to last like yours was.

As the saying goes...."Shit happens"

Attachments

• IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 549
Re: 1988 Bradbury Manitou restoration (reunited 25 years later)

If the cracked Head-tube belongs to the 1993 FS in your signature, I would say that's an Answer product, not hand-built by Doug Bradbury... scares me to ride mine though.
Original Doug Bradbury Manitous weren't impervious to cracks either. A buddy of mine has a '89 and it cracked at the seat-tube. That was back in the day though, and he lived fairly close to Doug's shop so he had the seat-tube professionally repaired by the man himself (now it's crack-free, but it's the newer diameter seat-tube with the Manitou seat-post) Here's a pic of it.

Attachments

• DSC06859.JPG
    DSC06859.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 548
Re: Re:

Retro Spud":dizot3g2 said:
aside from being at work reading this.... your really starting to piss me off with those photos^^

I recently rode mine across a lot less rugged ground that that stuff and did this to another wise crack free frame :x

I guess Doug made them lighter and lighter over the years to point whereby they weren't build to last like yours was.

What a gut punch buddy, so sucking...
My condolences.

Gonna get her repaired?

syncrosfan":3gs9b9vb said:
If the cracked Head-tube belongs to the 1993 FS in your signature, I would say that's an Answer product, not hand-built by Doug Bradbury... scares me to ride mine though.
Original Doug Bradbury Manitous weren't impervious to cracks either. A buddy of mine has a '89 and it cracked at the seat-tube. That was back in the day though, and he lived fairly close to Doug's shop so he had the seat-tube professionally repaired by the man himself (now it's crack-free, but it's the newer diameter seat-tube with the Manitou seat-post) Here's a pic of it.
An awesome specimen, though clearly he doesn't need that stem, its got a hole in it that's not being used... ;)

Re: Re:

shamobius":dq216s22 said:
Retro Spud":dq216s22 said:

What a gut punch buddy, so sucking...
My condolences.

Gonna get her repaired?

Sure am gonna get her repaired and since she won't be a crack free virgin anymore to coin a phrase I saw elsewhere on this site "I'm gonna ride it like I stole it"

@Syncrosfan

your right mines a homogenised Answer and not one of Dougs own creations
a bit like a Klein Trek or is that a Trek Klein :?

"your right mines a homogenised Answer and not one of Dougs own
a bit like a Klein Trek or is that a Trek Klein :?"
Sorry about it, I might have sounded a little dickish (like a Klein fanboy grilling somebody that dares to own a Trek Klein). In my opinion the Answer Manitous are every bit as worthy as the original ones (just not as rare, and IMO they're a little more refined look wise), I do own one myself. I just wish they would have gone with a 6000 series aluminum (you don hear many stories of Zaskars cracking). Frank the Welder still does aluminum frame repair (he would be a worthy restorer, expensive though).
"An awesome specimen, though clearly he doesn't need that stem, its got a hole in it that's not being used... ;)"
Funny enough I was the one who replaced the original molten elastomers from the fork with a firm ride kit (that was a royal pain, had to go medieval on it to take it apart, looks like molten elastomers are the strongest glue known to mankind). Honestly, that fork has max 2" of travel and it barely moves with the firm ride kit so I told my buddy yesterday he might as well route the brake cable through the stem (won't really make a big difference).

Re:

I thought it might be fun to add a couple more into the mix - not trying to steal your thunder OP.

The finished one

manitou.jpg

The restoration project

IMG_0025.jpg

Love those bikes thanks uno-speedo! The Turbos sure suit these bikes...

Back