95 Marin Indian Fire Trail IFT Advice

Bullpup

Senior Retro Guru
Good evening

I have just bought one of these - the version with the square chainstays and CNC yoke.

I bought it after reading how nice they are to ride and completely missed the comments they are fragile around the headtube.

This one has no cracks at all but can I assume it won't now crack or do I still have to be cautious?

Re:

I'd be cautious bud.. most i've seen are cracked, mine included but i still ride it most days to and from work albeit on tarmac.

A mate of mine had an IFT back in the day. He got given it by Marin under warranty after cracking a Palisades Trail, and from memory I think the IFT ended up cracking too! They are lovely frames though, and the CNC is nothing but art.

So keep it rigid and it should be ok for road /forestry road / path use but don't add even think about even short travel forks?

I think I should consider moving this on.

My comment above was sarcasm based on the Hope hubs I used to get sent for anodising, they didn't look cracked, but when the anodising was stripped the cracks were visible!

A headset with deep lower cup insert helps spread the load some more. Check the head tube carefully every year, otherwise ride and enjoy.

Back