Re-attaching base tape to tubular tyres?

garethrl

Senior Retro Guru
What's the best substance for re-gluing the base tape to a tubular tyre following eg a puncture repair, or in my case the tape drying out and detaching through lack of use? Do you use rim cement, or is there something better?

I'm finally getting back to the old Saronni/Shimano 600 project I posted some questions about a while back. Pics to follow shortly ...

Cheers, Gareth.

I've been told that liquid latex works, and some folks have recommended a light coat of normal tubular glue.
Personally I just send mine off to Tire Alert in Florida (U.S.) who repair tubulars. While they are all that I ride, my sewing skills leave much to be desired.

Maryt

This is slightly confusing. I thought you can either glue or tape tubs to the rim. I use tape, as I only use on my posh bike on the road.

flash":23ecjecq said:
This is slightly confusing. I thought you can either glue or tape tubs to the rim. I use tape, as I only use on my posh bike on the road.

I think the OP refers to sticking the base tape of the tub back on after it has been removed in order to mend a puncture. I always had trouble with this back in the good (?) old days (before 700C clinchers) when I rode tubs all the time for racing and training. I tended to use rim cement for resticking- but in those days I used Dunlop which was very tacky - and sometimes I tried Copydex. The trouble was that it stuck the tape on OK but when you had to remove the tub from the rim again later (another puncture?) the tape tended to stay stuck to the rim and you were left with a tub with the stitching exposed. It was never as good as the original adhesive used by the makers.

tubs

I use 'Febond' - a seriously high quality latex adhesive. Its actually a bonding agent for outdoor cementing or roughcasting use.

You get it from B&Q in the builders section. Screwfix might do it.

Cheers.

Back