Pat Skeates Bike Project

I made a post on the Pat Skeates project regarding some pictures that I have from the 1950's showing me riding my Skeates during some races. Some members of the Forum expressed an interest in seeing them, here's the rub, I have them attached to an e-mail yet lack the skill/know how with a computer to get them to Retrobike! My e-mail address is: laa12336@yahoo.com, I need help to those interested.
Lionel Andalo

Hi Lionel

I will send you an email and if you can email me the pictures I'll post up them up for you

These pictures were taken in the 1956-57 time frame, I was 20 years of age. At that time I was a member of the De Laune CC a south London club, it was during the time that Alan Jackson rode for the club, later Jackson was to go on and win an Olympic Medal.

The first picture show a race at Brands Hatch with me in third place, as Andy Warhol said "It was my 15 seconds of fame";
Skeates-2.jpg

The second picture is the main reason for sending the photos, as it has a front view of my Skeates bike showing the less ornate lugs at the head tube;
Skeates-1.jpg

The third picture was taken at a club 50 mile time trial in Crawley and shows the bike off really well, Skeates was known for his slender elegant front forks.
Skeates-3.jpg

All told it was a lovely bike, light yet stiff.

Lionel ANdalo

Hi all
Just a little about the provenance of the Skeates bike. It belonged to me before I passed it on. Im ashamed to say it had been kept behind my garden shed for some years so i am glad it has gone to someone who will restore it. It was a beautiful bike to ride. Although the chainwheel configuration was odd, I don't recall the chain ever falling off.
I bought the bike second hand in 1964 I think it was, from a bike shop in York Road, Battersea, and it cost me £18. 10 shillings. The saddle is not the original and I bought a new one at the time of purchase.
Im not sure of the wheels. But I'm pretty sure the originals were Fiamme.
Anyway, that is as much as I can remember for the moment but look forward to seeing it restored as it deserves.
Best wishes
Mike Selvey

mikeselvey":15w73esb said:
Hi all
Just a little about the provenance of the Skeates bike. It belonged to me before I passed it on. Im ashamed to say it had been kept behind my garden shed for some years so i am glad it has gone to someone who will restore it. It was a beautiful bike to ride. Although the chainwheel configuration was odd, I don't recall the chain ever falling off.
I bought the bike second hand in 1964 I think it was, from a bike shop in York Road, Battersea, and it cost me £18. 10 shillings. The saddle is not the original and I bought a new one at the time of purchase.
Im not sure of the wheels. But I'm pretty sure the originals were Fiamme.
Anyway, that is as much as I can remember for the moment but look forward to seeing it restored as it deserves.
Best wishes
Mike Selvey

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for this, David had passed on some of your reply to me by email which is really helpful. Keep watching this thread as although progress is slow I will restore the bike to it's former glory at which point you are more than welcome to ride her once again.

Regards

Stuart

Re:

Just an update....

There's been very little progress due to life's distractions but have some focus to get this bike together this summer and have taken some time off at the end of July to get it done.

Back