199? Marin Palisades

Yeah it's '91, got one.. I think small frames didn't have 'Afterburner' stays for some reason as my daughters and my missus' '92 Muirwoods have different seat stays. I think your bike originally had different shifters too bud. Watching with interest 'cos Marins rock :cool:

Yes, it did have different shifters, but they were cream crackered and replaced before I found this site and the classified ads. :roll:

Ready to ride!

Unfortunately, the weather today has prevented a ride, but this is my wife's new retro.

DSC_0157.jpg

DSC_0150.jpg

Complete with lever / shifters from this site (thanks Joe) and STX canti's from 'the bay'.

Looks great. I did all of the styling on Marin bikes for about 15 years, including that one! Heavily involved in the spec's of the bikes too. In the early days Bob Buckley, Kelly Burr and I did most of the spec's while I did the colours and graphics. I can't honestly remember the exact details of when we changed minor details, like the logos. But I do remember developing the paint with the Taiwanese supplier. It nearly didn't happen. I spent week's with them. I nearly gave up because the paint kept peeling when acetone was put on it. It was only a trip to a local Taiwanese temple, when I was show how to ask the gods a question (should I persevere, the answer was yes) that made me persevere!

Very nice. I am a huge fan of the marins (guess the name gives it away :LOL: ) but only have a modern (well year 2000) one at the moment. I need another retro one like this in my life.

peter_holton":11ikrthx said:
Looks great. I did all of the styling on Marin bikes for about 15 years, including that one! Heavily involved in the spec's of the bikes too. In the early days Bob Buckley, Kelly Burr and I did most of the spec's while I did the colours and graphics. I can't honestly remember the exact details of when we changed minor details, like the logos. But I do remember developing the paint with the Taiwanese supplier. It nearly didn't happen. I spent week's with them. I nearly gave up because the paint kept peeling when acetone was put on it. It was only a trip to a local Taiwanese temple, when I was show how to ask the gods a question (should I persevere, the answer was yes) that made me persevere!

Thanks for the reply, it's always fantastic to get comments and a historical perspective from the people involved at the time.

I'm glad you did persevere, as that paint finish really makes the models of the period stand out.

The Palisades is occasionally ridden, although to be fair, we've not exactly had the weather for casual riding, but I think there is a strong chance of use this year, as gloves, glasses and other essential items have recently been purchased, as has a Bear Valley, which I have not seen yet, and which I am due to pick up on Wednesday of this week, so watch out for another refurb thread. :roll:

I picked up one of these in this size down the local tip today!

Intrigued by the U-brake and skinny stays I thought I'd check on here for some detail.

Hot Damn I love this site!
All my questions answered in one thread!

:cool:

Re:

White decals on the top tube and down tube suggest it's a 1990 bike, surely?

The 1991 bikes had coloured decals on those tubes, so a Palisades would have yellow decals.

It's tricky judging a year by the shade of Zolatone - I have a two '90 Zolatone bikes, and one is a few shades darker than the other.

@ Peter - I love your work, and great to hear from someone who was there at the time. But keep a low profile mate - attempting to replicate your choice of paint finish has driven many here to madness. :LOL:

Back