Yo Eddy rebuild parts collection!

gradeAfailure

Senior Retro Guru
Well, seeing as the other half's now got a Kona that's in better condition and with tricker parts than the Yo, I thought I'd start collecting parts for the rebuild that I promised myself I wasn't going to do...! :oops:

So far I have:

X-Lite Chicken Stix and ti bar from Jack Hardcore. (not the thumbies and bar ends though!)
tibars.jpg

Control Tech Stem and bar ends from gil_m - once I get payment on its way!
img_1714_825.jpg

img_1722_104.jpg

Hopefully some Mavic M231CD rims from m1kesmith

A replacement new Shimano 105 non-cartridge (need the low stack height) 1" headset from the Bay of e.

And won last night from ebay.com - a set of Adventure Components CNC cranks!
0e_1_b.JPG

Still to get:
Saddle Sorted
Seatpost
Hubs Sorted
Skewers
Cantis
Grips Sorted
12-28 XT 7spd cassette
26/36/46 chainrings
Tyres

and the obligatory respray! I'm thinking ssssssshhhhhhhhh... :cool:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
11-28 HG70 cassettes are still avalible new BUT for some reason they will not tighten up on a old freehub body.

What you need to so is take the wibbly spacer (between 13T & 15T) from your old block and put that on the freehub body first, then take the 3 screws out of the block to separate it (the weight concious will do this anyway) and then assemble the block on the Freehub as normal, with the new wibbly washer between 13T 15T as normal, now it will bolt up tight.

(see the Kona for details as I learned that bodge there)

Cheers.

I think the reason seems to be that the new HG70's are slightly narrower spaced that before as 8sp spacing is now the 'standard' if you like.

I have tried to measure with a micrometer to determine if this is the case but can't get a consistent and tangible difference (it's close enough that 8sp shifters with 7sp blocks and vice-versa work fine).

I therefore assume that maybe the actual cogs are stamped from a narrower sheet of metal (good for weight, the enviroment and profits, how clever!) though I have not had a new 7sp freehub body to compare to see if this is true but it CANNOT be wear related surely!? :shock:

Until I am sufficiently bored to do an OU degree in engineering and use this for my thesis I am happy to add one wibbly washer! :LOL:

Has anyone else noticed this, does anyone else care? Should I section myself? Does Sheldon Brown know? :D

OH! Yes, I think the cassette on Miss Kona is 11-28, I definately did that mod!

Yes... You can strip and rebuild a bike in a day.. It takes a day to strip the engine out of a Corrado. I might metomophersise my business into resotoring and tuning old bikes rather than mid nintys VW's with a hoover strapped to the front, I think my life would be simplier.

Well, should soon have a silver Control Tech seatpost on the way, and this from eBay - none of your Flite Ti minimalism here thankyou!

0188_1.JPG

Back