Shellac - what period?

Matt25

Retro Newbie
I'm in the process of restoring a 1978 Carlton Corsair and thinking about using shellac on the bar tape. However, the bike is pretty original and I want to keep it 'period'. I'm not sure if this is something that is likely to have been done to a road bike in the late '70s. I was only 6 in 1978, so I can't remember if people did this to their bikes then.

All I think I know about shellac is that it was first widely used on French bikes in the 1950s and 60s. Was it still being commonly used in the late 70s? Or would shellac merely be a hipster affectation on a bike of this period? :roll:

Any info on this gratefully received.

Cheers,

Matt :)

Re:

Only use of shellac I remember was for mounting tubular tyres for track use, probably no later than early 1950s.

Keith

I am the 70's and by then shellac was only used for track tubs, bar tape of choice was Tressostar at 45 pence a roll :)

Shaun

I don't remember anyone using shellac on bar tape in the 70's, but then I grew up in the Canadian prairies and fancy European practices like that would likely have only been seen in Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver.

I've got a scan of the 1978 advert for the Corsair, Carlton's new Demi Course, I'll post it later. I guess yours is metallic brown / champagne color.

Cracking bike and the fast touring brother to the Pro Am which was also launched in 1978 :)

Shaun

2hn5oyg.jpg

There are plenty of pics as well on this site :)

Shaun

Re:

Thanks guys, and I apologise for the delay in responding, I was down in Derbyshire (for eroica among other things) and didn't have internet. I think I'll give shellac a miss on this one.

Thanks for looking out that Carlton Corsair advert, Shaun, really interesting to see. I like their description of the colour as'burnt bronze'. I have been referring to it as 'sparkly poo'.

I love the bike though. This is a bike you can ride comfortably for hours (once you've replaced the rock hard suede covered plastic 3tt saddle with a Brooks). I'm not hugely experience d on road bikes, but it feels both fast and comfortable. Nice combo.

Matt

Back