89 Kona Cinder Cone

CTK

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Picked this up last week- been on holiday for a week so have been able to touch it- In the process of giving it a good clean, strip, lube etc now

Attachments

• cin.jpg
    cin.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,621
Suntour gears are in really good nick- as are dia compe brakes- wheels have got to go though rear one weighs 9lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or was that 7lbs? weighed them about a minute ago haha) And they are also rough as.
I'm on the look out for some nice suntour wheels and a cassette or possibly just a rear hub and cassette.

Have got an original velocity stem to go on too.

I am thinking of greying it up to match decals... umma gummas, grey flite grey cable outers etc

Got one exactly like this in a 16" - stripped down and needing to summon up the enthusiasm to begin sprucing her up.

Hopefully your build will serve as inspiration...

I think I may get away with my wheels hopefully, bars are rusty and wil definitey need to be switched though.

Is this definitely an 89, I think it might be a 90.. I have an identical one hanging in the garage that I know is a 90, have been trying to work out what the 89 came with as can't find a catalogue on line. The 88 definitely had a U-brake and I think the 9 did too but can't be sure..

Anyone know ??

BTW - Great looking machine, one of the iconic Kona's IMO..

Hilts":1endkcxu said:
Is this definitely an 89, I think it might be a 90.. I have an identical one hanging in the garage that I know is a 90, have been trying to work out what the 89 came with as can't find a catalogue on line. The 88 definitely had a U-brake and I think the 9 did too but can't be sure..
Anyone know ??
BTW - Great looking machine, one of the iconic Kona's IMO..
My knowledge is as incomplete as ever James, but the current state of my ignorance is that I believe that the situation in 1988 was much the same as it is now – i.e., the 2009 Kona brochure has been published and the range of bikes will be in the shops very shortly. I believe that the first range of Konas similarly came out in 1988 (and found its way over here that year too) and was sold during 1989. And then I believe that CTK’s bike is from the second range that came out in 89 and was sold in 89 and 90. The difference from now is that the catalogue that we call the ‘1988’ didn’t have a date on it, and nor did the one that we call ‘1990’ (that came out in 89), because they just didn’t bother to define it in that way.

If this is right (and I’d be very happy to be proved wrong incidentally), then strictly speaking there is no such thing as a 1988 Kona and CTK’s bike is a 1990. But since Kona themselves didn’t define it, then I for one think that CTK is justified in thinking of his Cinder Cone as an 89 bike if that’s when it was built and sold.

Just out of interest, below is the only picture I have of an ‘88’ Cinder Cone with rear U-brake and the similar but different paint job of the first range of bikes. Also a picture of a pristine ‘88’ Explosif that is apparently for sale in a second-hand store not half a mile from where I sit, and also on eBay. You don’t happen to know of anyone fairly lanky that’s a connoisseur of early Explosifs, do you James?

Attachments

• 1988 Explosif size 19.jpg
    1988 Explosif size 19.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,476
  • 1988 Cinder Cone frame size 19.jpg
    1988 Cinder Cone frame size 19.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,476
That Explosif is lush!
Re 89/90 I have just gone by the catalogues on Kona retro... my retrobike memory doesnt go back that far! The 1st Konas I can remember were 91ish and the purple Explosif from said year is my fave Kona :cool:

Just noticed that Stew-B has the very Kona I'm on about- :cool: :cool:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back