1997 Kona Kula SS (finally with decent pics!)

OrangeRetro":3i8dc6s8 said:
Cheers.. They are Continental Double Fighter II's.. not very retro but still very cool.. :D

Whoops! Too busy checking out the pics to see you'd listed everything above :oops:

Hi, I think you did a great job all round, it's looked a fun bike for cruising and single-speed riding, it's light aswell and what is the gearing too? nice one :)

Did you spray the frame yourself or powder coated? and I am after a Charge saddle like yours and it's hard to find especially in black at the moment.

I painted this one myself. It took a lot of effort, but thats half the fun! :D

The gearing is 32/14 so a little over 2:1. It seems fine so far, however I haven't taken it far because of the issue with the chain slipping. I do also have a 16t cog for the back to try as well.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
OrangeRetro":2trwi5ly said:
Do you have any ideas of the origins of the seatpost. It has one bolt and a crazy thumb wheel for fine adjustment?
No, I've drawn a blank I'm afraid, I can't find anything that looks like that. It must be a high-end part because the adjustment wheel looks quite expensive to manufacture, and it's clearly 99 or earlier because it's silver. My O-Beam just says Tahoma 27.0 on it, so I guess there's nothing any more helpful than that on yours?

Here are the post markings.. not alot there really. The post is really well made and the micro adjuster wheel is great for setting the level of the seat, so I agree, it must be high end and probably quite rare i'm guessing. I got it from the states if that makes any difference.

Attachments

• post.jpg
    post.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,173
So yesterday was the first test for the Kula.. albeit quite a simple one.. get me to my mates house for some boozing! :twisted: ... Its only 3-4 miles away but seeing as i've never rode a single speed before I thought that it would be a good way to break myself in..

I ended up breaking just about all of my riding rules... It got quite late, I had no lights, no helmet, no gears... :shock: ... But I managed to turn into a 12 year old, bombing through the streets, hoping up curbs, even swept pass some rozza's in a jam sandwich! :D

Single speed rocks.. the best way to turn into a small child again and remember what riding is all about! ;)

Sounds like a fun first trip out! Now I want a pub bike...(and to be able to ride it without risking my drivers licence dammit).

Rigid alu Kula with a 32-14 gear ratio, if you ride that xc then you're pretty hardcore!

Seriously though, very nice bike.

Back