Claude Butler SS

cbkss

Retro Newbie
Hello - here is my project of turning an old Claude Butler Kylami i bought off a bloke for the princely sum of a fiver.

Sorry i dont have any pictures of the bike before it was stripped and destickered - although im not sure you would have wanted to see it anyway :shock:

First job of all was to strip the bike down to the bare frame and forks.

It actually looked pretty clean with all the crap taken off - although the frame is pretty beaten up it'll do for a school/work/hack bike.
The BB took a bit of wrenching to get off - but came off with no damage to the threads in the end.

Now, to start gathering components.
Quill to threadless adaptor:

Saddle, bars, stem, old seatpost - most of which from the parts bin.

The old wheels - rear was buckled and bearings were knackered so in the bin it goes. Front is in decent nick so will be used.

With the finishing kit fitted its starting to take shape

Cant forget that lovely shimano hubbed front wheel:

So - a parts list to order:
- shimano bb
-shimano alivio rear cassette wheel
- a2z singlespeed conversion kit
- decathlon triple crankset
-kmc singlespeed chain
- tektro v brake off ebay (£2.50 :cool: )

Now a few more bits have arrived - namely the crankset and wheels.

The only wheels i could find in the price i was willing to pay were 135mm old so it will be a case of squeezing it in between the 130mm dropouts.

Brake, BB, Chain and singlespeed kit should all be here tomorrow and then the build can be finished!

Re:

Yep Its on Bikeradar too

Cheers for the comments, brake arrived today and picking up BB , Chain and Singlespeed Kit later today.

Re:

And we're finished! (Well almost - Halfords cocked up and sent me the wrong BB - so im using the old gritty one for the moment - its a good thing it was free!)

Rides great - took it out for a few miles before it got dark and was lovely to ride - gear ratio is a little tough but i do have an 18t sprocket to replace the 16t currently fitted - if anything its a good way to make my legs stronger!

42:16

Also excuse the pedals - had them lying around after taking them off my triban 3 - will have a set of acid drop DMR v8's when i dig them out.

Very smooth - really enjoyed my first ride singlespeed!

Re:

Singlespeed is cheap and easy - and makes more sense for a bike thats gonna spend alot of its life locked up outside.

Back