Modern Groupsets - How good are they ?

FluffyChicken":1thj29gc said:
I know, didn't think it would be so hard to find a 'nice' groupset though.

90's Shimano gruppo's can still be had, plenty passin thru here and fleabay ;)

Andy B":21mx40kw said:
(Like on a road bike where the shifter is the brake lever also) which some love & some hate.
:shock:
The wife cannot even use the XC Comp thumbies with no indexing...
But gears that change when you're brake going over a bump just sound bloody silly.

I think it'll trying to patch up some old stuff together then or slap all my old XTR things on it from the RM Altitude.

You flip the brake lever up/down for gear changes (also a lever under the brake for downshifts), not my cup of tea either though, but you could sell 'em & use normal brake/gear levers.

The deal from Merlin (link in post above) is cracking value.

Mind the SLX does look nice in this pic though, maybe it just needs a modern all edges industrial looking bike.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_b/271 ... 282167805/

Too much and i'll see if she wants to go for the LX, still I'd need some new hubs to go with it.

I'll also look at getting old stuff, but the new hollow hub/crank design does look a smart idea.

Then i'll sart updating other parts and then the frame and claim it as my own :twisted:

Many Many thanks, but I have to go to sleep now to get away from spending any money...
Went looking at wheels there .... even for my old they don't seem to bad a price from what I remember paying.
http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=98
Pair of XT, XC717 silver, DT Revolution Silver, £123.
Not really worth building them myself for that price.

But then I got side tracked in the low end Merlin Malt bikes and some name I've obviously never heard of Commencal 5.5.3
http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... uctId=1293
30.6lb full sus. Never used full sus but at that weight could start too.

:LOL:

I got my mate to buy a Commencal 553 (Andorra based co.), tis a very good 'all mountain' bike ;)

My Orange 5 weighs in @ ~28lbs.

FluffyChicken":7ngqddvy said:
"But in my day we bought Shimano DX and expected to replace it in a few month as they where very soft. "

Not quite sure what you mean there.

Back when I was riding and into biking (late 80's early 90's), DX was the mid range groupset before it was dropped from the range. But it was made out of soft cheese like metal which did not last very long. It bent all the time and you expected to have it snap or wear out in a few rides.

Mind we also had oval chainrings as well :LOL:

I was just setting the scene for what I know. The slight update to the M900 series XTR is current tech for me ;)

Oh.... You mean the chainrings?

Never had any probs with them once I fitted Pace rings instead :p

Only icky bits I remember from DX were

Cheap band-on fitting for thumbshifters (mechanically the canine's sphericals though)
Cheap pressed chainrings (XT weren't much better - we all used Pace rings in my neck of the woods - the Dark Peak)
Bottom brackets (pre-cartridge)

Otherwise DX was up there with M730-5 XT, which some of us on here (self included) regard as the best MTB kit ever made within context of course.

Modern kit is easier to use, works well most of the time, and means you can do more with your bike. But when it breaks down, youre in trouble.

Back