The 'Introduce Yourself Here' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep - I saw that on the October BOTM. Beautifully done!

I want to put all the XT kit back on the original FRO but that will involve buying new mechs before the old have worn out! I have the obligatory Disk Drive ready and waiting and a set of white smoke magics as well. Just need a wet weekend and a few hours of fettling ....

I love the white porcupines you've got there!

HI,

i have just purchased my first Yeti this afternoon . its a Kokopelli . I know it is not as nice as a Fro , but for £40 that is good enough .

The frame needs repair , but nothing serious .

fd1b8ry.jpg
[/img]

The tube where you insert the seat post is split vertically on 1 inch next to the weld for the seat skewer . That is it .

It was on ebay this week but I made an offer to the vendor and he accepted it .

It is a 99 model and came with a XT front mech , a XT BB , a blue ringle H2O and a blue ringle anti chain suck .

I started riding back in about 1991 - I really wanted a Raleigh Lizard, but for some reason I ended up with an Emmelle. I rode that on fire roads for a few years, and got a Dawes in 1994. I don't remember what model it was, but it had a purple and black splatter paintjob and (oooh) 21 gears :D I upgraded loads of bits on it, but mainly just through buying loads of purple parts - X-Lite ChickenStix brake levers, purple (Tektro?) cantis, purple alloy bolts, a cheap CNC purple alloy stem -you can imagine the effect. However much I loved it, even I had to admit it rode like a pig and weighed a ton. I lusted after all the trick lightweight bikes in the mags, and above all else a Merlin XLM.

I finally got enough money together in 1996 to buy a Specialized Rockhopper FS. Over the next three years that bike changed spec so many times - I put full XT on it and some Judys, then got into street riding as well as XC so it got some riser bars and a stubby stem, plus heavier wheels. Then I (stupidly) brought a clapped-out Turner Burner DH from a friend of a friend for peanuts and spent loads on putting nice parts on it, ignoring the fact the pivots were shagged. It looked the dogs, but I hardly rode it. I gave up, sold it and the Rockhopper and brought a Specialized FSR-XC. I lost count of how many sets of bushings I went through, and I didn't get on with the fit of it either. When I saw a Fisher Procaliber frame up for sale, I brought it on a whim and swapped all the parts across. I really liked it, and upgraded most of the parts on it, but decided to sell it and give in to the lure of titanium - I got a cheap secondhand Airborne from the US. It just wasn't the same, and I preferred the ride of the long-departed Fisher. I moved to a (again, s/h from the US) Black Sheep titanium soft-tail, which was nice, but I still hankered after a Merlin XLM. After much searching, I tracked down a NOS, pre-Litespeed buyout Massachusets built XLM in a shop in California. I built it up with all the kit I've always wanted, and I really love it.

Not long after, though, I brought a Bontrager Race on a whim, and I really enjoy it - possibly more than the XLM because the skinny steel stays seem more compliant than the super-fat, super-light XLM. It's currently my winter project bike, and will be built with XTR 8 speed, Middleburn/ Mavic Ceramic wheels, and a set of Solitude Cycles rigid forks.

Other bikes that have made an appearance for shorter periods of time include an Ibis Szazbo, an Orange Prestige, a Roberts Genesis, a Sonic Cycles singlespeed, a custom Dave Hinde singlespeed, an On-One Tinbred SS, and plenty of road bikes. I've also probably forgotten a few bikes, for which I apologise. I've also got a UK-built Ritchey/ Tange tubed rigid frame and fork sitting around that I keep meaning to build into a winter hack bike.

Simon":3uvpkywt said:
Not long after, though, I brought a Bontrager Race on a whim, and I really enjoy it - possibly more than the XLM because the skinny steel stays seem more compliant than the super-fat, super-light XLM. It's currently my winter project bike, and will be built with XTR 8 speed, Middleburn/ Mavic Ceramic wheels, and a set of Solitude Cycles rigid forks.

Some nice rides there. Hope Alex sorted you out with a decent fork ;)

Hello Chaps,

I'm Pete, long time reader, first time poster. Probably know a number of you (Scant, Jez, Grant, Webby, Djuc) from STW and elsewhere, but for every one else I'm a lover of Fat, Bonty and Turner, retro and modern. Got the bug back in 1988 with my first mountain bike, a Cinelli Mountain complete with Exage and a 7 neon colour fade job (and I do have a photo somewhere, but you'll need shades to view it). Spent the next few years lusting after all manner of bling, be it RC100s, CR7s, Merlins, Yo eddies, Yetis and the like. Have owned at various points a Roberts, a Funk, Bonty, Fat Ti, San Andy, Slingshot, Turner and a few others along the way. I can now afford to treat myself to all the toys I wanted as a skint kid so have a beautiful Fat Ti with all the kit (I'll try and post a photo shortly) and a modern Turner for proper rides, with a Bonty Singlespeed for good measures.

Thanks for the great website!

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back