Modern Groupsets - How good are they ?

FluffyChicken

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I'm loking at buying a modern groupset to put on an old frame RM Fusion (please no flames ;)). The current Suntour XC Comp MD is not liked by the wife.

But in my day we bought Shimano DX and expected to replace it in a few month as they where very soft. Avoided Shimano LX as it was worse than DX.
Bough for XT (well until XTR came out and they dropped DX).

STX came out and it didn't seem to bad. Alivio what ?

So what is LX like now ?
and I assume V brakes just fit the normal canti bosses ?

Presume you are talking about brake blocks being too quick to wear out.

Bad news mate - if anything, modern brake rubber wears even quicker than the old stuff.

Deore is good & lasts for a long time, if a little heavy

LX has been discontinued from the MTB range (mow a touring/hybrid groupset) But was OK for longevity, although in pricing not far off XT

SLX (New for '09) is the new All Mountain range, a cross between Hone/LX & XT

XT is almost as light as XTR, but lasts a lot longer & is a lot cheaper for almost the same performance

XTR is the lightest, built made of Shimano's finest cheese & will wear out quite quickly.

brake blocks ?

No the whole groupset :LOL:

(The V brake question was just an addon question, they had only just come out when I became disinterested.)

Andy B":2h126u89 said:
Deore is good & lasts for a long time, if a little heavy

LX has been discontinued from the MTB range (mow a touring/hybrid groupset) But was OK for longevity, although in pricing not far off XT

SLX (New for '09) is the new All Mountain range, a cross between Hone/LX & XT

XT is almost as light as XTR, but lasts a lot longer & is a lot cheaper for almost the same performance

XTR is the lightest, built made of Shimano's finest cheese & will wear out quite quickly.

Hone, no idea what that is ....
But a trip to shimano website still list LX in the MTB section. Also all the higher one seem to either look terrible (XT/XTR) or are black. LX seem to be the nicer of the sets.

So things seem to have turned around since my day.
Where the cheap stuff dies in a month or so of riding and only XT/XTR actual lasted. XTR being quite hard to break.

STX RC came out after my day ;) and I see is no longer made either.

LX is discontinued in the MTB range from '09 (Guess they've not updated the site yet)

Deore stuff lasts ages, but is heavy, the lighter the parts get the shorter the lifespan.

I'd look at Deore for lifespan or SLX/XT for a bit of bling that will last a while.

Maybe because it's still 2008 :eek:

Thanks for the info though.

I just don't think i could live with myself for putting somthing that looks the way STX does or XT/XTR does :s

I can pick up LX (200:cool: for about £170 though that's basically just brakes and gears.

:oops:

I know, didn't think it would be so hard to find a 'nice' groupset though.

(and hence it's hidden in this part of the forum)

FluffyChicken":2nri464e said:
Maybe because it's still 2008 :eek:

Thanks for the info though.

I just don't think i could live with myself for putting somthing that looks the way STX does or XT/XTR does :s

I can pick up LX (200:cool: for about £170 though that's basically just brakes and gears.
No prob

Merlincycles are doing LX 'v' brake groupsets from £165 http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=83

Groupset comprises of:-
Hollowtech II chainset and bottom bracket
9 speed cassette & chain
V-brakes
LX DCL Brake/Gear Levers
LX front mech and LX rear mech

All Components are the latest 580 models

Dual control levers (DCL) though (Like on a road bike where the shifter is the brake lever also) which some love & some hate.

Back