Nipples:
Spokes:
Tyres: Panaracer Smoke & Dart
Tubes:

Saddle: Flite Ti
Seatpost: USE carbon alien
Seatpost Binder: cheap qr that fitted

Weight: ?

Here's the history (cos it's raining, and I'm bored!)

This was my first proper mtb when I got it new at the end of 1993 after getting into mtb'ing earlier that year and being introduced to Kona's by a mate with a '92 Explosif Pro.

Naturally I got through a few components as I was learning to ride properly. I took it out of regular use a couple of years later when I bought a Cannondale Super V. Somewhere around '98-'00 I had the frame stripped and powdercoated and rebuilt it with all the nice parts I couldn't afford first time around.

It didn't get much use after that and about 5 years ago, when the BB seized, got put up in the loft to make way for a Pace RC200 F2 project.

After seeing some amazing Kona's on this site, the bug has caught again and I need to ride it.

I mocked it up for the photo's as I can't decide whether to respray the frame or not. I thought I'd got bored of the yellow but after seeing it resemble a bike again I'm not sure, maybe all it needs is a good clean and some decals.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!

Rich.

Attachments

• new 017.jpg
    new 017.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 3,220
  • new 018.jpg
    new 018.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 3,220
  • new 019.jpg
    new 019.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 3,220
That is nice looking Kona and the yellow looked good but if you fancy a change of colour, go for white and get some decals from gil_m on here to finish it off, is that cable clamp on top tube to run v-brakes? nice one though. :)

Thanks. Yeah, I had to fit the bulky cable clamp for the V's. would've had another stop fitted to the frame but I had already had it powder coated.
I've seen gil_m's handy work and will definately be using him for decals.
I really like the white Kona's but it was actually your Cinder Cone that's got me thinking about a smart looking custom colour, something a bit less in ya face than yellow! not sure I can wait to ride it though so I might put that off to next year.

I think the colour is great, but I agree it would look better with decals. It might just be though that the silver/white 94 decals are a bit pale to go well with yellow. As an alternative, the pic below shows how 96 decals might look on it - it's a 96 Explosif and the colour was apparently standard for the Spanish market, the rest of the world got a grey/green colour that year.

I guess you like those modern P2s and I assume you must have got triple-butted ones, but if by any chance they are plain-gauge then I would suggest triple-butted as a very good upgrade - half a pound lighter and a much faster-riding fork. Or better still some Z2s of course.

They used the Tange Prestige Concept tubeset for Explosifs from 90 to 92 and Kilaueas from 93 to 95 and it is a pretty classy tube. My size 19 weighs 4.55 lbs, so I'd guess your 18 weighs 4.4 or so, which is actually pretty light if you ignore all the optimistic/untrue/no-paint claims that you see around the place. It's a very good frame and well worth keeping in active service.

Attachments

• 1996 Explosif in yellow.jpg
    1996 Explosif in yellow.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 3,178
I always thought the '94 decals wouldn't quite have suited the colour, I think your colour combo could be right for it.

I ended up with those P2's just because they were current at the time of my rebuild. I needed them as the original marzochhi's broke after a few months and the first P2's I could find when that happened were the shorter, non suspension adjusted ones.

I can't remember if they are triple butted, there weren't many options in the days before internet shopping! I just bought the first ones I saw. I believe they have a stamp on the steerer that would indicate this. Does anyone know the actual weight they should be so I could double check?

Cheers,
Rich.

rich_4130":30zmd9xw said:
I can't remember if they are triple butted, there weren't many options in the days before internet shopping! I just bought the first ones I saw. I believe they have a stamp on the steerer that would indicate this. Does anyone know the actual weight they should be so I could double check?
Cheers,
Rich.
Some of them do have a stamp, but the easiest way to tell is that tb weigh ~830g, pg weigh ~1,050g.

The colours staying, for now. Just stripped it down to give it a good clean, it's nice to see it shine again.

The forks are triple butted :) , they were stamped, but I also weighed them to make sure. Almost felt a bit dissapointed as I thought it might be a quick way to lose some weight if they weren't TB, not that the bike's that heavy.

Just need to sort out some decals from gil_m and I'll be all set.

No need to be disappointed with a bike like that! I'd guess it weighs about 23lbs with that spec, and I mean a genuine 23lbs, not a wishful-thinking but haven't actually weighed it 23lbs.

The only thing that looks like it might be a bit on the heavy side is the tyres. I know they're good tyres, but if you run standard tubes, you might have getting on for 1,600g in tyres/tubes and there's plenty of alternatives available around 1,200 or less. That's almost a pound difference :shock:

don't ask a lady about her weight

the yellow one seems stripped anyways. No saddle just imagine what that does to the overall weight...

I would love some xt thumbies for my Stump...

Anthony":1n8z5hsv said:
The only thing that looks like it might be a bit on the heavy side is the tyres. I know they're good tyres, but if you run standard tubes, you might have getting on for 1,600g in tyres/tubes and there's plenty of alternatives available around 1,200 or less. That's almost a pound difference :shock:

Yeah, that's the only dilemma at the moment. I really like the way the Smoke and Dart ride but I'm also considering a lighter tyre combo. But I also don't want to get too hung up on weight loss when it could sacrifice ride quality.

Back