Giant MCM990 - Carbon Content - Updated

orangec16":3kvld27g said:
sorry to hear the hanger was bent, not sure how that happened.
the qrs are Rolf,
cassette was xtr
nice to see it being loved- rather than cluttering up a shed too small!

Ah dont worry about it, I only noticed it when cleaning it etc and managed to pretty much knock it back into place, it all shifts fine now anyway and can get a replacement if I need to, I absolutely love it still got loads of stuff I want to do to it lol

JamesMatlock":2dysoxt0 said:
Oh My Days!

Thats gorgeous.

I really want more info on how it rides.

And more of theose gorgeous pics.

Thankyou, I'd been wanting one for ages and to be honest even after reading lots of good reviews was a bit worried with the whole meeting your heroes syndrome but wasn't disappointed, it Rides brilliantly climbs hills very well and just seems to provide that bit of suspension where you need it. Other thing I've noticed is that seatpost up in propperly for long journey's its very xc and nice and ballanced, drop the post and it becomes a all out fun machine. I've even considered getting another in the future and building with a bit more of a freeride setup. I'll get some more pics up soon now with the cooks on it.

I'm sure I remember it as a really versatile bike as you say. I can remember pics of Rob Warner laying one super flat! I would go your way with that long distance spec.

JamesMatlock":3tc00bl8 said:
I'm sure I remember it as a really versatile bike as you say. I can remember pics of Rob Warner laying one super flat! I would go your way with that long distance spec.

Would love to see a pic of that, I'm guessing it would of been on the aluminium version though, yeah keeping to xc spec on this one but would love a more fun build as well, bit heavier weight it was a nightmare trying to find that one though so will have to see lol

Hi, found your post on the MCM 990. Nice bike you have! I have a chance at a NOS frame, and was wondering a couple of things:

Still pleased with it?

Holding together well?

Is your RC50 hub sold/available for sale?

Is it a top pull top swing front shifter? (quite rare I believe)

Have you ever ridden an early GT STS/LTS? If so, how does it compare?

Cheers, Alec

ape":xd9q54it said:
Well the sparks back with the old retro bike thing, maybe not as retro as some other bikes but I love it and am sooo excited as I have been looking for one for years and finally got my mitts on one. Bit of a better spec than the original CM990 as its got a xtr chainset, XTR rear hub and pace front hub and Marzocchi Bomber airs and a few other bits and pieces.

I'm going to replace the XTR chainset with with my cook brothers F crank and think my hope titanium BB will fit so that will also be being stuck in. Also bombers are going to get replaced with my Pace 36 Evo's? ones with gold stanchions, may have already got some carbon bars to swap with the easton ones on it as well. I'm going to try and go with a carbon and gold theme so all my old red bits need to go. Oh and also need to get rid of the rockshox super deluxe for a air shock.

On a side note does anybody know what the QR's are they just have a R symbol on them, and also anyone know what the cassette is or is there anyway of me finding out?

Anyway here's some pics, I'm soooo excited yaaaay!!!

Re:

Hi mate,

Sorry for the late reply I don't get on here as often as I should now days, I'm still very happy with it although it's currently sat around doing nothing as I need to find a rear Spinergy Spox wheel for it, I did ride it a lot more though in between and have been very impressed and pleased, main downsides are the shock could be better but that's something I'm going to change somewhere in the near future and the front mech like you say is an odd one, it's like one of the braze on ones so choice is very very limited. I've not had a play on a STS before but owned an RTS for years and would say it's a more capable machine (actually got my old RTS back and building it for the girlfriend) I'd say if it's the right price go for it, if you need any more info I'm happy to answer as best I can.

Re:

No probs - a reply is a reply.

I pulled the trigger on the MCM, once I managed to find the elusive front mech.

Build is started - slowly, link is in my Sig.

Cheers!

Back