Aquafade Wicked Fat Chance

ridevintagemtb

BoTY Winner
Kona Fan
I've been collecting parts and frames for some serious period-correct and replica bikes recently, leaving me with a desire to spread my wings a bit. Aquafade is rather cavalier on this site these days, so I hope this isn't overkill.
The story is rather simple: I came to this site two years ago, and when I saw Jez's aquafade Yo, I knew one day I'd own a frame and fork in that color scheme. That bike was, and continues to be a landmark build, setting the bar at a level for which we should all aspire to reach. I always thought a blue/green combo would compliment the frame well.

The Wicked Fat chance remains to me, an iconic bike from the late 80s and early 90s, from a time when men were rigid and so were their bikes. My second retro project was a 1990 WFC, which turned out (IMO), to be a total failure. The attempt to re-create the classic FAT paint Kandy Wild Cherry turned out completely wrong, and the frame was too small to even ride to town and back.

I came across this frame and fork the usual way... ebay, and for a reasonable price. The frame condition turned out to be amazing. No rust to be found anywhere. A score for sure. The pros at Spectrum Powder took on the project with enthusiam, and did a great job. Some custom anodizing here and there, and we have the aquafade wicked:

IMG_0007_2.jpg

Frame: 1991 Wicked Fat Chance
Fork: Fat Chance

Headset: Specialized
Stem: Ringle
Bar: Titec titanium
Grips: Specialized 'Durango'

Brakes: Pauls Stoplights MC
Brake Pads: Kool Stop
Cant Hangers: Onza Chill Pills
Levers: Real Design

Shifters: Suntour XC Pro 7spd
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT M730
Real Derailleur: Shimano XC M735
Cassette: Shimano Hyperdrive
Chain: SRAM
Cranks: CQP 181mm
Chainrings: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Fat City Press Fit
Pedals: Shimano M737

Skewers: Nuke Proof Ti
Rims: Mavic M231CD Front 32h, Matrix CD 36 Rear
Hubs: Ringle Superbubba/Supereight
Tires: Tioga Psycho
Other:Decals by Gil_m (great job)

Saddle: Selle San Marco
Seatpost: Generic Custom Ano
Seatpost Binder: Ringle

IMG_0004-1.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

graffiti_fixed.jpg

field_clouds.jpg

wow, that is stunning bike with beautiful colours, something that you can looked twice at it, you did an awesome job.

You have a good taste with colours, first your lovely lime green Kona and then this bike, both stunning bikes.

Nice one :)

Good one again Mike .

on a different note :

did you see by any chance 3 french guys riding singlespeed last week ?
they were in Durango and went for a ride with Chris herting and some other guys .

cchris2lou":2lor8ajb said:
Good one again Mike .

on a different note :

did you see by any chance 3 french guys riding singlespeed last week ?
they were in Durango and went for a ride with Chris herting and some other guys .

No, I would have noticed too because I would have had to stop and chat with Chris.

I was in Tejas last week too.;)

they are on their way to the world champ in california i think .

the guys they rode with are hoping to organize the next world champ in durango .

cchris2lou":bergidcn said:
they are on their way to the world champ in california i think .

the guys they rode with are hoping to organize the next world champ in durango .

Bailey or Russell from the Cyclery I'm sure. They'll get it done too, they're super organized (for a bunch of hipsters).

Lush :cool: , cool photos too.

Been looking for one myself for sometime but never seem to see one in lanky fit :cry:

Back