1987 Cameron Rebuild & Wiki - A Wee Face Lift

Re:

Great story and what a lovely frame.

I love that e-stay too. Looks weighty but cool...

Re: 1987-88 Cameron Rebuild and Wiki - The Unknown Canadian MTB

Great history, and nice looking frame. Look at the welding Cunningham did on ALL the frames he built, Cameron's welding was WAY better. During the early 90's I owned an Ellison Aluminum frame, Ellison built them in his Garage in Houston, and heat treated them in a pizza oven, his welding wasn't near as nice as your Cameron. Keep us up on your build please.
Cheers

tatra":2fl4lds3 said:
Great history, and nice looking frame. Look at the welding Cunningham did on ALL the frames he built, Cameron's welding was WAY better. During the early 90's I owned an Ellison Aluminum frame, Ellison built them in his Garage in Houston, and heat treated them in a pizza oven, his welding wasn't near as nice as your Cameron. Keep us up on your build please.
Cheers

Haha ... Pizza oven.

I've never seen a cunningham close enough to inspect the welds. Likely never will. At $10K a pop I couldn't afford admission to see one :D! They look nice from a far. This costs me 98.5% less. A "poor mans Cunningham" :)

Parts are coming together. I'll likely never complete this one with all the original parts, but it will be on the trail in a month or so. Mix of Xt730-732 and a functional set of RS1s I've been saving for something special.

Re:

Your frame (design wise) doesn't look like an 80s design/build, almost all offerings from that period leave me stone cold.... But yours is nice

Great history as well

Looking forward to reading more, lets hope Roy comes good on the scanned copy

Re: Re:

Retro Spud":2d6ckkws said:
Your frame (design wise) doesn't look like an 80s design/build, almost all offerings from that period leave me stone cold.... But yours is nice

Great history as well

It will be cool to see a 1994 Full Suspension Cameron. Apparently he was doing all his design work on the cpu and he was able to use his connections with, or worked for some big Ontario based engineering firms. I bet a lot of his parts were after hours jobs that he could do because he could both design in CAD and run the machinery. The cnc work on the cable guides is nuts. I'd think you would need to produce 1000s to make it cost effective in 1987. Harv made 100? 150? frames total ... In 20+ years? The frames were very expensive at cycle logic but not reflective of what the real cost would be if Harv was actually paying real production costs.

Hopefully more frames and parts surface. I do have a good chance of seeing one of the 1994 Cameron FS bikes. Hopefully I can take some pics. They weren't built by Harv but it was his design.

Re: Re:

Retro Spud":1jnr8d3l said:

Great history as well

will try and get it done during lunch next week some time.

Great find and nice write up, and I remember that cover. It's a pity I threw all my magazines out 10 years ago....

I'm signing up for this build!

Re:

The smallest hurdle has been overcome. I will never find Harv's original studs, but these will do the trick. I need to shorten them a bit, but I will have rear brakes!

The front derailleur trickery, bar/stem and fork ... I may never find. :cry:

Re:

Let's add three more Cameron's to the wiki. All three are owned by a collector in Toronto and range from around 1990 to 1993.

I have a pic of the MBA action review coming and my Cameron is ready for cables :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 1,027
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,026
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,026
Back