1951 Jack Taylor .

Ollie

GT Fan
Feedback
View
So I've had this bike since August I think and as I have this week free and the weather has been a blinder I've managed to get some pictures.

It's a all original Jack Taylor Sports model from 1951 however was bought in 1952. I got the chance to buy it from the second owner Chris as he couldn't manage with drops due to back injury and the frame frame was too large for him. It gets used however only in good weather as I'm frightened I might damage the lovely and original paint. It runs a Simplex 4 speed gear system however was supplied with a fixed chain-ring and the hub is flip-flop so can be converted to fixed. There is no major changes to the bike which have occurred over the years. The tyres, spokes and chain were changed in early 2014 and all bearings have been replaced. The saddle has a reinforcing plate added as the original leather top has split down where the bag mounts are. The brake blocks are modern and are about as good as blocks of butter on the Conloy rims so will be replaced with something more appropriate.

I planned on going to L'eroica in the summer with it however plans have changed and I am unable to go. It is going to be used on the London Tweed Run next weekend by myself. It is a lovely bike to ride and is very smooth doing so. Enough of me blabbering on, here are some Pictures:

Hope you guys like it, Ollie :) .

Thats a gorgeous mount, I love that paintwork with its double box lining.

Re:

Nice machine :cool:

but shouldn't your rear derailleur Simplex (which seems to be a Tour de France ) be mounted with a supplementary bolt and screw , inserted into the dropout "canal" before the wheel axle ?

Here it seems to me that it is going to get loose if you take the wheel out ?

this is the setup , I am thinking of

Re:

I honestly don't know ! I bought the bike like that and I will heck if there is a hole in the dropout for the bolt, thanks for the info :) .

Re: Re:

Ollie":sqwqpeks said:
I honestly don't know ! I bought the bike like that and I will heck if there is a hole in the dropout for the bolt, thanks for the info :) .

Ollie
quite often, there is not a specific hole but the bolt is specific as it takes the shape of the dropout canal
and the wheel axle goes at the end of the derailleur hanger "canal"

see here

Re: Re:

bduc61":1mn3tcz4 said:
Nice machine :cool:

but shouldn't your rear derailleur Simplex (which seems to be a Tour de France ) be mounted with a supplementary bolt and screw , inserted into the dropout "canal" before the wheel axle ?

Here it seems to me that it is going to get loose if you take the wheel out ?

this is the setup , I am thinking of

You probably know this, but the derailleur cage is fitted upside down here. I do the same on the Simplex on my Bates to obtain a greater range of gears and it works okay, but technically it is incorrect.

Back