saracen crosstrax 1991

hoegaardenadds1

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
picked up a new bike yesterday, a near mint 1990's saracen crosstrax
spec is as original with full exage 300 lx groupset and loads of saracen finishing kit. frame is tange infinity lite and the forks judder like mad under heavy breaking!

Attachments

• retro bikes 005.jpg
    retro bikes 005.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 2,661
I think that might be a 1991. I had a 1990 Tuff Trax and the graphics we different. Pretty sure that the follow year they changed to the ones on your bike

its not the brakes juddering, you can actually see the fork flexing back towards the frame! they are so skinny! am going to replace the blocks tomorrow as they are the originals! and have gone a bit hard! ooh er!

thanks for the date update! the chap i bought it from assumed it was a 90 from the frame number!

just went for first 'proper' ride... my god its comfy but my god those forks flex!! forgot how much fun canti's are to ride with! now all i have to decide is keep it faithful or add some xt v's and lighter wheels (ringle rear screw on on mavic 221, deore front on same rim)?

Maybe some fork flex can be expected with hard impacts but I wouldn't expect it under braking, this will be worse again if you replace those old cantis with V brakes.
Is the headset bearing properly adjusted? I'd strip and check the headset bearings more than likely totally shot if they're as old as the frame....

cool bike though.....
handbuilt in england..... <like everything else now history.....

The Tufftrax I had BITD did the fork flex and judder thing especially when laden with camping gear and panniers as it often was- I put a pair of Tange Switchblades on it which transformed it.
Really loving all these old Saracens that are turning up- I loved mine,such a great little rig with bombproof paint that still looked new five years on. I think tracking one down might be on the cards ;)

Back