Olympics: Cycling

[/quote]
Quite simple; its nigh on impossible to win a sprint from the front.

So, they crawl round slowly, where the front guy tries to go so slow the back guy has to come past.

Then, they crawl up the banking and BANG the back guy shoots down picking up pace and hopes to catch the front guy off guard and thus wins.

Simple really ;)[/quote]

This was discussed on 5 Live today but the commentators all agreed "unless your British, then it doesn't matter, your gonna win anyway" Aparantly all the other teams have been mentally destroyed and just about given up, all the athletes came for ordinary backgrounds, it's just the coaching and team building that's so fine in every detail.

Here's a Q for you guys, and Pickle...What make are those GB track bikes :?: All the other teams are using either Kooga, Mercks etc but our bikes are just stealth black.

Re: So?

Grannygrinder":2uh89xow said:
So if success is finance dependent why are we so crap at athletics?and why are the ethiopians and kenyans so good?

cos track and field isn't an elitist sport, more countries compete, running shoes are cheaper than a boardman one off and therefore natural talent shines through,
interesting article:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 542323.ece
it would be nice to see what would happen if a few african nations had £22m to spend on cycling,

plus kids in the uk think track and field is a ps2 game, and when mummy and daddy got divorced daddy moved into housing estate which was built on top of the school playing fields, cos we have a housing shortage in the uk yet the population remains the same,

personally i have nothing against us winning lots of medals, but i hope those who appreciate it more than me played the lottery, cos britain didn't pay for it, british national lottery players paid for it ;)

Gold

Yep £5 every week without fail! :D Its never an elitist sport, Chris Hoy was just an ordinary guy who was given a track bike, discovered and then his potential achieved.
Plenty of other Nations throw more cash into cycling than us, but didn't nearly have the same level of success.

Slightly embarrassed to say this is the first time I have watched the Olympics..but the cycle events have been fantastic to watch. Love the track events..got confused with the Madison :? :LOL:
Would have liked to see Pembleton against GUO for the final though.
Great stuff!

Bear-Chan":1j2ty8q8 said:
is anyone else as excited as i am to see shanaze reade destroy everyone in the bmx?

BMX as an olympic sport ffs! What next, vandalism, graffiti and hoody-wearing? Surely the lads from the ET film should piss gold at this?
Thank god the football season has started again and we'll get some normal sports back on the box ;)

makster":2z8oc01b said:
Bear-Chan":2z8oc01b said:
is anyone else as excited as i am to see shanaze reade destroy everyone in the bmx?

BMX as an olympic sport ffs! What next, vandalism, graffiti and hoody-wearing? Surely the lads from the ET film should piss gold at this?
Thank god the football season has started again and we'll get some normal sports back on the box ;)

Nice trolling. And BMX racing is definitely not an elitist sport.

stevet1":3pt51zy6 said:
Nice trolling. And BMX racing is definitely not an elitist sport.

I reckon Chris Hoy might disagree ;)

Edit: Beg ya pardon, misread that post as "definitely an elitist sport" :oops:

Bear-Chan":t3l5j2je said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/cycling/7571581.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic ... 571725.stm

Bloody brill that. fantastic recovery.
"Im ok mum. its all gonna come aart ut bag tomorra."

Shanaze is class. Great bike skills and power to boot. Probably the only woman who could have beaten VP in the sprint.

Anyone who thinks track racing is elitist should pay a visit to their local track.

Back