1996 Kona Kilauea

GearlessinSeattle

Senior Retro Guru
Just picked this up. Was all stock but for the seat. It even has the original Kona tires on it. I changed out the Curve brakes and Cranks for XTR V's and White Industries. Even changed the original stem for a little bit more rise. Should I go back to stock? It stops better then before. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3994_1_1.JPG
    IMG_3994_1_1.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 1,861
Nice score.

I bet that rear brake doesn't react to well with a canti seat tube guide. If you're going to run Vees, use a frame "clamp on" cable guide. Much better braking power/performace.

Looks great to me, I wouldn't go back to stock. I always think if you'd owned this from new, you would have fitted those brakes in 1997, if not 96. So why not do it now?

Speaking of which, I have a 96 Explosif and it has a braze-on rear cable stop as well as the clamp-on canti cable guide. My serial number is H6A3 2264. The H6 means it was built in whatever factory in 1996, so in other words it was built for the second half of the 1996 model year - early 96 Explosifs would have been built in 1995 and carry H5 serial numbers. My guess is that the early bikes in the 96 model year had no V-brake stop and the later ones did, as Vs were coming in right around then. So I'd guess your frame has an H5 serial number, am I right?

headtube":185x7hwc said:
Nice score.

I bet that rear brake doesn't react to well with a canti seat tube guide.

There are ways around that issue. However if you do decide to go with a clamp on guide, I know somebody who's after the seat tube guide (me! :LOL: ).

Anyhow, love it, fantastic looking machine. Don't seem to see that many 96s around, but I always liked em.

It's strange, but mine also is H6 (1st part of the serial #). The Curve brakes it came with are V-type. When I switched to the XTR's I used the original cables so that is how the bike was set up when new.

As far as the Stem goes, yes the original one looked better but for me the little rise I get makes the bike fit better for me. I plan to ride this one.:)

Thanks for the feed back!

Lawrence

stem issues

0 rise is Kona Rise, I acctually tried riding a bike with like 5+ degrees today, did not feel good knowing that I looked uncool.

Theese Konas look great, I'm gonna find me one next spring.

Back