Olympics: Cycling

Re: Winning Gold

Wold Ranger":flw7k1cc said:
Makes me proud to be a life long cyclist (and ex rower and yachtsman too) and see Our Lads and Lasses dominate in the drome but beggers the question why we cannot achieve more in other sports disciplines?
Sort of dreading the MTB tho :( Perhaps we should ride it fixed on slicks :D

cos they are elitist sports that only a few countries compete in, if we throw enough money at them we are guaranteed a decent return,

On the team sprint question- They swap places as sitting behind the lead requires about 30% less effort, the guy at the front works as hard as poss. to keep pace very high and then gets a rest at the back and so each member of the team works hard for a short period, this keeps the pace super quick.

One guy may also be able to maintain a faster pace than the other three but at the cost of tiring before the end of the race, this team member keeps the pace higher than that possible, if they all had to complete the distance together thus allowing a very fast overall sprint.

hope that this makes sense?

Is track cycling elitist? If so- does that take away from our sense of national pride because we have done so well?

Didn't even cross my mind that "sports", were more or less valid dependant on your class and the financial requirements you need to compete :? .

I cannot afford a horse and silly red coat but if Fox hunting was an olympics sport and we won gold- I would still be proud :twisted:

is anyone else as excited as i am to see shanaze reade destroy everyone in the bmx?

Attachments

• shanaze reade 5.jpg
    shanaze reade 5.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 3,922
Wednesday 20 August

0200-0548: Men's and women's BMX seeding runs, men's BMX quarter-finals

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday 21 August

0200-0418: Women's BMX semi-finals, men's BMX semi-finals, women's BMX final, men's BMX final

amt27":3gk749tx said:
Wednesday 20 August

0200-0548: Men's and women's BMX seeding runs, men's BMX quarter-finals

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday 21 August

0200-0418: Women's BMX semi-finals, men's BMX semi-finals, women's BMX final, men's BMX final

I'll try and catch it on the re run ;)

Back