need some info regarding Nuke Proof hubs

Also these are the first generation. The second version (actually 3rd but that's another level of anal)
have thicker flanges that...I...don't recall failing. The Ti versions again...I...don't recall having this problem.

I have three sets of wheels with Nuke Proof hubs. I am 2 for 3. The one set I used for years developed a lot of play in the rear hub . I don't use them anymore and the other 2 pair don't see any off road use.

Lid":1xfpueum said:
Also these are the first generation. The second version (actually 3rd but that's another level of anal)
have thicker flanges that...I...don't recall failing. The Ti versions again...I...don't recall having this problem.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a timeline?

I found this, but most of the images are gone:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70524

I think mine are the same as the ones on this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-Klein-At ... _291wt_958

but I've now looked at so many I'm no longer sure!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Cool hubs for garage queen :D
The alluminum used for the flange is quite soft. So, you may not tighten the spokes a lot.
It's the same alloy for TNT or Nuke proof hubs.

On mine, there's a shimano body, but impossible to tighten or to adjust the bearings in it (until I glue them…)

The wheelset in question I'm looking at has these hubs. So are these prone to crack???

Don't want a garage queen wheelset. The bike will only see light duty, but I don't want to be constantly worrying and checking my wheelset for cracks and it failing on me. :(

Attachments

• image_6.png
    image_6.png
    110.9 KB · Views: 617
Re:

I have repair kits for these retro nuke proof rear hubs. If you haven't already thrown them out due to cracked flange cups! I have these improved ones. Message me and I'll hook you up with improved replacement parts. Kits are available as sets with cartridge bearings.

ez054098":32f3epnl said:
I have three sets of wheels with Nuke Proof hubs. I am 2 for 3. The one set I used for years developed a lot of play in the rear hub . I don't use them anymore and the other 2 pair don't see any off road use.

Mr.Toad":ormakusp said:
My carbon/allow front hub broke at the outer flange. Looking at the construction it's no wonder, there must be less than 1mm of material between the inside bearing bore and the spoke flanges.

Rear hub suffered a crack on the inside, allow sleeve cracked outward to the spoke flange.

I can post pics if anybody is interested.

RockiMtn":288qnkwi said:
Don't want a garage queen wheelset. (

in which case I wouldnt ride them. theres not a few isolated cases of these hubs failing, theres a lot. I had 2 rear hubs fail, the alu flange cracking on 1 hub & the alu flange seperating from the carbon central section on another. for actual riding i'd be more inclined to recommend hugi, phil wood, or shimano

Back