1993 Marin Indian Fire Trail

sherlylock

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Being a bit of a Marin fan one of the bikes in the range that I lusted after (but couldn't afford) as a teen was the IFT.

This frame came up for sale so I took a punt on it (cheers Staf!) and I've been collecting bits for it for a good few weeks now. Most of this time has been spent fettling and polishing the frame. All the chips and scuffs are removed - just need a final finishing polish and a coat of protecting wax.

The project took a huge leap forward when my mate popped over last week with a potential bike resto, donated to me.....a Peugeot Python or Peugeot Team - not sure which - an early nineties Pug that used to have a purple/pink colourscheme.

Anyways - it's too small for me and the frame is 90% paint stripped & v. rusty so I've stripped it for bits and used them on my other various bike projects. The IFT benefited from a UN70 DX bottom bracket, a pair of Deore LX pedals, a set of DX cantis and a very clean Deore DX rear mech.

Other goodies collected recently are an XT front mech, Marin Lite folding tyres, and a NOS plated Marin roller stem.

The forks are from a '95 Bear Valley, which I guess I should respray blue - although I'm tempted to go black, matching the decals in black to suit..........

Just need cables and a shakedown and she'll be good to hit the trails (hopefully Thetford next week!)

Attachments

• IFT.jpg
    IFT.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 2,874
  • tyres.jpg
    tyres.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 2,873
  • deore cranks.jpg
    deore cranks.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 2,868
  • deore dx mech.jpg
    deore dx mech.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 2,869
  • stem NOS.jpg
    stem NOS.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 2,871
  • headtube chips.jpg
    headtube chips.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,869
  • bare frame IFT.jpg
    bare frame IFT.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 2,875
Mart, spray the forks purple mate and put purple stickers on it or it'll look like a Rocky Ridge!! We can't have that mate! :LOL:

Rich

Very nice!! These bikes rode well. Marin's alu frames were much nicer rides than the steel frames. At least the ones I tried from 94>....

It even has original Marin Lite tires....

:)

PopsTrippin":12m0uzrg said:
Mart, spray the forks purple mate and put purple stickers on it or it'll look like a Rocky Ridge!! We can't have that mate! :LOL:

Rich

Yeah, that's my only reservation is that it'll look like a Rocky Ridge. I have seen an IFT on here with black forks/decals and it looks quite cool.

I did take the '93 brochure down to Halfords to try and match up a can of paint to the purple - not sure how successful that approach was tbh - I've yet to try out the paint that I bought.

Might need to pop over and have a look at yours! ;)

Thread from the dead! Been itching to get out for a muddy ride for weeks but been laid low with the lurg that I just haven't been able to shift. :(

Anyway - in the process of having a bit of a life laundry I thought it was about time that I started to get a few of my projects completely finished and trail-worthy.

Unfortunately the IFT, whilst fully built up has been sat in the shed unloved for over a year. Naked too with no frame stickers, and dirty. Poor show.

In the last week we've taken delivery of a laser cutter at work which I had a play with on Friday. I've had decals lasercut before but this is the first time I've been able to draw up the artworks and cut them myself....for the cost of about a quid! I'd drawn the artwork a while ago but never got to turn them into stickers.....

Wasn't sure on the colour match - I sent Rich (PopsTrippin) a message to see if he knew the match (knowing he had an IFT)....he suggested it's a purple close to that of Cadbury's.....so I had to buy these for reference ;)

Masking tape applied to act as transfer tape. Allows the vinyl to be peeled off the backing and applied to the frame.

Spent most of saturday night tweaking and cleaning - re-commissioning the IFT ready for an arranged ride with SIMONFREESE in the Essex countryside.

We met at 6.30am this morning....bitterly cold but not raining. Headed out into the woods just outside Southend with the intention of getting to the River Crouch via various footpaths and wooded sections, taking in Hockley Woods en-route.

Safe to say.....it was muddy! Initially it wasn't too bad as everything was frozen solid....but it didn't take long to thaw out. Just before we stopped for this pic we'd been warned by some horse riders that it was muddy. They weren't wrong.

We made it through the durge and ended up on the banks of the River Crouch for a timely chocolate bar & drink.

On the journey home we decided to replace the really muddy section with the roads......as enjoyable as the thick mud was, once was enough.

A round trip of 24miles later we arrived back....ready for some junk food, a coffee and a wash down......of everything!

Up on the stand ready for a wash down. Best not to let this stuff dry on right? ;)

Hour later all the clag is off, everything is dry and re-lubed ready for the next ride!

A few things to sort....rear derailluer is a bit knackered and the rear cassette is quite low end. Also need to chuck some blue paint at the forks/bottle cages/seatclamp.

Nice to get back on it - love it to bits! :)

Re: Re:

whayne":tcv5214u said:
Hi,

The ift look great in the mud :D

What bike is Simon riding ,looks new.

Regards

Yep - modern Saracen for this ride - the Raleigh Moonshine isn't quite finished yet!

Great ride today Mart, one of the best so far! Epic mud, lots of sliding, stopping and swearing!

The IFT looks great, slightly embarrassed to cop out and ride my modern bike but had a great time anyway. The next one will be retro again one way or.another!

Nice job on the cleaning, I couldn't believe how much mud I managed to carry home with me, most of which was obtained on that evil muddy uphill section before Gusted Hall, we could barely lift our bikes when we got to the top :)

I'm stunned at how much mud we collected at Gusted Hall.....I've not had to stop on many occasions because the rear wheel wont turn any more. I was also amazed to see pebbles & stones wash out of the crevices of the frame as I was hosing it down.

Agreed - great ride - was reaching the limits of my fitness levels by the time we got home though.....been a bit busted for the rest of the day.

Back