What would you do to this Rockhopper? Update 16-12-09

Love the original paint scheme !

Keep the original colour scheme and do up with whichever components your happy with.

White coloured bikes are far too common :roll:

Nice Bike ;)

Wow, a Specialized that I quite like... not often that happens!

I share the general opinion of clean it up, swap the stem + saddle and ride it... not sure what you guys have against bar ends though, don't you ever cycle up hills? :)

Re: What would you do to this Rockhopper?

I am currently working on a 1991 Rockhopper. Where do you get a set of replacement decals? And how the heck do ya remove them ol suntour casette? Its not held by those splined screws, so took out the axel thinking it'll just pop out; didnt come out. Any suggestions?

Re: What would you do to this Rockhopper?

Bongker":39sb2bee said:
I am currently working on a 1991 Rockhopper. Where do you get a set of replacement decals? And how the heck do ya remove them ol suntour casette? Its not held by those splined screws, so took out the axel thinking it'll just pop out; didnt come out. Any suggestions?
Splined screws?

Suntour cassettes have the top sprocket threaded onto the body to act as a lockring, like Shimano's old Uniglide system. You need a pair of chain whips, one to hold the cassette still, and one to unscrew the top sprocket. They can get pretty tight.

Pamir used to make a "cassette cracker" (basically a mini chain whip with a hook to jam against the frame) that would also do the job.

OK then guys

After some commuting to work I'm thinking of updating to some modern stuff, dare I say!

I want to keep things cheap and I'm asking your advice of choice of components.

I'm after

1. Wheel set - V brake compatible.

2. Single speed rear cog and ideally I want to replace 2 of the chainrings, is this possible and can I buy new stuff?

3. Replacement headset.

4. Replacement bottom bracket.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Thanks

Martin :D

Okay, here's my 2p..

Headset - no real benefit changing it unless it's totally worn out (i.e bearing cups are worn out). They tend to last forever and replacement bearings are super cheap. Better to just change the bearings and regrease.. If you wanted a nore modern threadless version you would also have to switch forks and stem which leads to more £££

Bottom bracket - as headset. If it's a shimano sealed version and there's no grittiness or play in the bearings /axle movement it will go on and on.. Also in my experience some can be a real pain to remove :evil:

Single cog and chainrings - bit tricky this one. You could change the rings but when it comes to modern there's a chance you may need to buy a entire chainset. There's plenty of compatible ones floating about on the For Sale section here if you need some. Also if you plan to run a singlespeed cog, do you really need to run two chainrings up front? If so you will need a chain tensioner, or you could just use the rear mech as a makeshift..

Which leaves the wheels - I would personally invest what funds you have and stick to finding a lighter set. You could also get away with running 8 speeds using the thumbshifters you have which could be useful! They will not alter the looks of your bike too much and will make the ride quality way better than any of the parts above :)

Enjoy..

mart77":2v81ade2 said:
After looking through this site I am now tempted to rebuild my specialized.

This bike was brought very early 90's from a friend of mine. Most of the bike is original, gears, chain etc etc.

Now I'm asking for your advice.

I want to keep spending to a minimum. Here are a couple of options that I am considering.

1. Strip paint myself and respray in current colour scheme ( I do feel confident on spraying the frame)

2. Powercoat the frame white and add black decals.

:LOL:

or

3. Strip for parts and use money to build another project. Don't get me wrong, I dig the Rockhoppers of the day as good honest bikes, but if you want to invest that amount of effort and time in a project, it should be Stumpjumper at the minimum, IMHO. :D

Had one of these in Purple BITD, had Cook Bros Cranks with only Middle and Outer rings (funny how this is a bit of a retrobike trend now, :)), Campag Olympus Mechs, Deore XT Thumbies, Brake Levers and Cantis, Wolber AT-20 Rims on Deore Hubs with Zoom Stem and Seat Post (had got low on money at that stage of the Build). it was only a 16" frame but used to ride really well and could be chucked anywhere, I loved it and it was totally unique.

Sadly stolen from college in 1993.

Insurance payout covered the purchase of my Claudbutler though.

Carl.

velomaniac":1y5t8sq4 said:
Love the original paint scheme !

Keep the original colour scheme and do up with whichever components your happy with.

White coloured bikes are far too common :roll:

Nice Bike ;)

Yep, paint looks good. It doesn't need to be repainted.

Don't like white bikes personally.

Back