Proof you can polish a Turd or at least roll it in Glitter!

Re: Re:

Rampage":28gkb49d said:
Is the cap currently painted?
I have some NOS 1.1/8" plastic caps if that's any use.

Thanks Chris
Not quite ready to give up on a metal cap just yet, but I could be knocking on you door as these arrived today so I can start the build now and I can see what it looks like all bolted up

I give you my Judy FSX Carbon forks ....Almost NOS condition :cool: however Her Majesties import duty was :facepalm:

came complete with "Speed-Springs" and internals look just as good as the legs... :D

Re: Proof you can polish a Turd (Schwinn FS)

Nice, love a set of Judy fsx forks :cool:

Do you have the Rock shox stickers for them? or do you need a set? I have OE reps in abundance :facepalm:

unit3":3lnscwdg said:
Nice, love a set of Judy fsx forks :cool:

Do you have the Rock shox stickers for them? or do you need a set? I have OE reps in abundance :facepalm:

cheers Unit Trois

having done a bit of research they should be wearing these decals, which are a bit different to normal RS Judys.... if you have some of these I'll bite your hand off :LOL:

They came with a spare set of top caps adjusters the same as in this picture ...which I've shamelessly stolen from a post that Wold Ranger made :oops:

Re:

Had a right score at the Bristol Bike jumble last Saturday aside from a great day out in Bristol I picked these up.

A brand new Judy 1 1/8 Steerer which is great as it will allow me to raise the stem a little more. Even though it came sealed in a bag I’ve no idea what the red sticky stuff is, it looks to have been used during the manufacturing process when bonding the steerer to the crown

After Syncrosfan burst my bubble by highlighting that my 113mm Bottom Bracket was too long for my cranks I’ve been on a mission to sort the bottom bracket out with one that has a 107mm axle, and I think I’ve pulled off a coup, I came across this……..

Which going by the weight I believe is a TI Syncros BB and best of all its in the right size 107mm, however this one easily came apart down to component level which the vendor was keen to demonstrate and show me the newly installed bearings, (the relevance of which I will share with you shortly) ;)

Once installed I was a little underwhelmed by its rather mundane appearance and so removed it and whilst doing so idle thoughts crept in and I reached for an unused Grafton Speedcase with 122mm axle that I had left over from my Manitou build and swapped the axels over… and then the challenge began :D

First problem one has a 73mm shell the other a 68mm, therefore the shoulder on the axel to keep the bearings in different positions.

Second problem is one sits flush/inside the bottom bracket and the other has a shells that sits loud and proud on the outside which added to the bearing / axel position mis-match.

Thankfully all was not lost as I bought two BB on here years ago made by “Real” that used custom made spacers in order to position the bearing in the right place, having used one without any problems the other was stored away so it became my savior and allowed corrections to be made with the Bearing/axle/shell position

All in all a happy union of no less than Three Bottom brackets, perhaps not the cheapest option but one that got the brain cells going and looks every bit the part, fully accept its yet to be tested but drawing upon "Real's" technology and the fact Grafton designed his bottom bracket cups to be tuned in for the right bearing tension gives high hopes

Hope you like my Frankenstein Bottom Bracket

107mm Syncros Axle

Bearing Spacers courtesy of Real

Bearing Cups and Lockrings care of Grafton :cool:

hope you like ! :LOL:

ooh very fancy, this is going so well..
props due

That's quite some commitment to making a pretty bottom bracket! Did you use the Syncros double row bearings? (that's the main plus of the Syncros BB in my opinion, it's like using 4 regular bearings instead of 2, a little heavier but bullet-proof). Love the polished and turquoise anodized combo! Now I have to look for turquoise BB cups for my Syncros BB for the Manitou FS build... thanks a lot! (more money and time to be spent...)

syncrosfan":ta1w7bf1 said:
That's quite some commitment to making a pretty bottom bracket! Did you use the Syncros double row bearings? (that's the main plus of the Syncros BB in my opinion, it's like using 4 regular bearings instead of 2, a little heavier but bullet-proof). Love the polished and turquoise anodized combo! Now I have to look for turquoise BB cups for my Syncros BB for the Manitou FS build... thanks a lot! (more money and time to be spent...)

TBH it never crossed my mind about double bearings, :shock: now that would be pushing the envelope*

Although I never measured them the Syncros Bottom bracket I robbed the Axle from appeared to use the same sized bearings and configuration as the Grafton,
The shoulders on the Axel wouldn't allow me to run two sets unless they were a lot narrower ! for now I'm going to leave well alone as I spend a good
while getting the cups/bearing pressure just right, too tight and the bearing were stiff, too slack and there was a small amount of play/rocking motion on the shaft....in between these two was the Sweet Spot :D

Before someone like "The History Man" says it
* no matter how much you push the envelope ....its still stationary :facepalm:

DrJo":1rk92y4v said:
ooh very fancy, this is going so well..
props due

beepbeep":1rk92y4v said:
:cool: :cool: :cool:
Looks like this build is going be something special! Love it so far....

Cheers Guys

I've a few days of work coming up soon, so plan to crack on with it, so I'll inflict you all with some more pictures soon

Back