Fluted Tesag?

Re:

I do like that, something a bit different. Pleased to hear how well it rode too, have fun ! :cool:

Mike

Re: What have I bought? Part XIX

xxnick1975":2kfsllft said:
Very interesting, what's going on with the rear mech?

The rear mech is a Shimano 600 Arabesque one. It shifts fine with the current drive chain, but if I decide I need to expand the gear range to add some lower gearing I guess I'll have to swap it for something with a greater capacity.

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":17vvuh24 said:
I do like that, something a bit different. Pleased to hear how well it rode too, have fun ! :cool:

Mike

Thanks Mike :D Given I enjoyed riding it so much I'll aim for changes to be slow evolution, rather than rebuild, which should keep it as an available option for me.

The full mudguards were very welcome yesterday, but I do have to take them off as I need them for the bike I have for my dad.

I added the "new" (not very happy that it came with scuffs from Ebay) seat post and did a bit of cleaning on the drivechain and took it for another test ride today.

8SlFbrCEH-V7EUWgnQYbxCxINpiV-8HXLajJqjodMII=w1184-h888-no

It needs a few bits stripped and rebuilt, but other than that I think I will just be replacing that cheap, horrible front wheel with something more fitting and replacing the cables and tyres.

The riding position is more relaxed and comfortable than I'm used to, but since I need to offload my industrial Peugeot this can take it's role as my less aggressively set up option. I might end up replacing the stem with a zero rise, but for now it feels comfortable.

I assumed the road drivechain would have to go, but the gears are relatively well-spaced, so given my preference for power over spinning, it might well work as it is. I do need to change the shifters though, because aside from being broken I can't deal with downtube mounted ones. It has the cable stops so obviously originally had bar mounted shifters. I have a nice Suntour underbar friction shifter that would be perfect for the rear mech, so I might have to search for a suitable match for a front shifter. I might change the brake levers too - I'm unsure at the moment. I'll definitely swap them over though, adjusting to the European left/front right/rear is beyond me when I spend the rest of my time riding bikes set up the UK way. Oh, and I think I might put the Mt Zefal mudguards back on :)

I'll be interested to see how it feels when I can give it a better test once it's properly set up.

kingoffootball":2painl4q said:
xxnick1975":2painl4q said:
Very interesting, what's going on with the rear mech?

The rear mech is a Shimano 600 Arabesque one. It shifts fine with the current drive chain, but if I decide I need to expand the gear range to add some lower gearing I guess I'll have to swap it for something with a greater capacity.
Wouldn't you be better off fixing the existing one first? That looks all sorts of wrong!

The frame deserves much better than that road junk stuck to it. It would have been Deerhead or at least get some Deore MT-60 on there.

mattr":28hsc57o said:
Wouldn't you be better off fixing the existing one first? That looks all sorts of wrong!

I'm not sure why it's stuck again. I had removed it and cleaned it and it was functioning fine. Probably an error by me when re-installing it as I was an hour behind schedule for where I had managed to an excuse to slot a test ride into the day.

legrandefromage":2nmwza98 said:
The frame deserves much better than that road junk stuck to it. It would have been Deerhead or at least get some Deore MT-60 on there.

I may well do that longer-term. No funds for any parts at the moment, so I'll have to make do until then. Deerhead is a good suggestion, I might aim for that longer term.

Ideally, I'd like another high-flanged SR hub for the front, but a cursory look the other day suggested it wouldn't be easy to come by.

Whilst I was waiting to go on SkyRide (ended up going out off-road instead) I got rid of the broken downtube shifters.

ZNRrL3RV48vt4l2MCxNbv2B_DlXQnXXXFr7ptnGj6So=w1184-h888-no

I had a Suntour friction shifter I wanted to use, but no matching left-hand shifter, so as a temporary measure I fitted a cheap shimano one upside-down.

Whilst doing this I decided to replace the brake levers too, as I didn't really get on with them. At this point I remembered the Odyssey levers I bought for a previous project but didn't end up using. They are even tatty fluorescent yellow and black to match.

Having done some further research today, having originally been thrown off by suggestions this had been repainted by Tesag I'm now of the opinion it was probably originally sold under their brand. I'm struggling to find out anything about their history though and no pointers as to who made their frames for them (I assume they were not made in house). I have found quite a few more examples of their bikes, but with no more information about them, other than them still being in existence in Switzerland and still selling some bikes under their own brand, along with famous makes of bikes.

Back