RatroRacer Mercian

Ralph_the_Rohan

Retro Guru
Back in 1978, when I started full time work, the first thing I wanted to buy was a new racing bike. I went to my local dealer, Brownings in Chalkwell, Essex and gazed longingly at the Mercians he had in stock. Unfortunately they were all well out of my price range, so I settled on one of the lower priced Peugeots he also stocked.

Although I loved my first Peugeot, and the next one I replaced it with, It's always been a dream to own a Mercian, so when a grotty looking Red Campionissimo Frame and Forks appeared on eBay for £79 BIN I snapped it up.

I love patina on an old frame, so although it may be restored one day, for now it's got what I like to call RatroRacer style, totally untouched frame and forks kitted out with quality kit of an approximately similar age.

Luckily I have accumulated a lot of late '70's/early 80's Campagnolo kit and while the best of it is destined for my 1980 Alan Super Record I had enough spare to fit on the Mercian. So, a quick clean up and a day's fitting up has resulted in....

Frame: 1979 23" Mercian Campionissimo - Reynolds 531 - Frame No. 89079

Fork: Mercian

Headset: Ofmega
Stem: Unknown
Handlebar: Unknown
Bar Tape: Black Cotton Tressorex

Brake Levers/Brifters: Campagnolo Record - White Shield Logo Hoods
Brake Calipers: Campagnolo Record Long Reach
Brake Pads: Campagnolo Record
Brake Cables: Generic

Shifters: Campagnolo Record
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Record
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Nuovo Record
Derailleur Cables: Campagnolo
Freewheel: Unknown
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Campagnolo Record
Chainrings: Unknown (to be investigated)
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Record
Pedals: Campagnolo Superleggeria - Campagnolo Toe Clips - Alfredo Binda Straps

Rims: Mavic GP4 - 700
Hubs: Front - Pelissier 2000 Professional Rear - Campagnolo Record
Hub Skewers: Pelissier/Campagnolo
Nipples: Unknown
Spokes: Unknown
Tyres: Continental Giro
Tubes: N/A

Saddle: San Marco Rolls
Seatpost: Campagnolo 27.2mm Single Bolt
Seatpost Binder: Unknown

Bottle Cage: N/A
Extras: N/A

Weight: Unknown

Attachments

• Img_5529a.jpg
    Img_5529a.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,888
  • Img_5528a.jpg
    Img_5528a.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 1,888
  • Img_5525a.jpg
    Img_5525a.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 1,888
Like stepping back in time :)

BITD I would have sold my kidney for those pedals... :D

Shaun

PS the outer chainring is not super record....Ofmega or a copy?

Outer Chainring

Shaun,

I can see what you mean about the outer ring. Must admit I hadn't even looked at it closely before now. I'll see if it's marked in any way.

In the meantime I've edited the spec sheet.

Steve.

Lovely bike, and always good to see a childhood dream coming true. Especially for 79 quid... :shock:

Looks great, well done with the price on the frame, not many real bargains out there. I really like the single bolt seat post much easier to adjust and far more stylish than the 2 bolt one. I bet its dead comfortable to ride with that slightly laid back seat angle :D

Re: mercian campionissimo late 70s /early 80s

really nice bike and i think i have a 1980 model but do you have a photo of how the frame numbering appears on the BB (with the builder number) .
cheers Sam

BITD there wasn't always a builder number..........just the number with the year. Mercians have lost their numbers from about 1979 backwards so they might have your records on file. £10 per enquiry :D

Shaun

Re:

Hi Sam,

Funnily enough I'd just seen your other post and was going to take a pic when I get home around 4pm.

I don't have the facility to upload pics to this site easily over the weekend, so if you want to PM me either your mobile number or your email address I'll send it straight to you. Else, I'll try and upload a pic to your other post asap, but as I say it may be Monday.

Look forward to seeing your Campionissimo on here one day.

Regards,

Steve.

Thought I might as well add a quick update pic while this thread enjoys a brief spell back in the limelight.

I never really thought the original wheel combo suited the bike, what with the small flange hubs and dark Mavic rims, so just after the initial build up I swapped the wheels with a set of large flanged Campagnolo Tivo hubs laced to Mavic Monthlery pro rims. Much better looking in my opinion....

I've also just aquired an early logo set of Cinelli bars and 1a stem which will soon replace the no-name ones currently fitted.

Steve.

Attachments

• photo16a.JPG
    photo16a.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 1,388
Back