WiFi Connection Issues

ACL = Access Controll List, its where you manually input the MAC's of allowed devices so basically if someone does hack your WEP they still cant get on your network its a security thing at the moment if someone hacks your wep then they will have access to your net and network, ACL unless they can access your router cant be hacked unless they clone you mac address from a device and to do that they need it first off.

computerbitz":dkm509ct said:
ACL = Access Controll List, its where you manually input the MAC's of allowed devices so basically if someone does hack your WEP they still cant get on your network its a security thing at the moment if someone hacks your wep then they will have access to your net and network, ACL unless they can access your router cant be hacked unless they clone you mac address from a device and to do that they need it first off.

Gotcha, well i'm not overly paranoid about security. I've got the WEP protection and if one of the neighbours is smart enough to hack it then good luck to them! :)

Anyway they'll have the same problem of dropped connection as me, so they'd soon get bored and go elsewhere :LOL:

you wanna build one of these bad boys, i had a G class netowrk then upgraded to N1 class, and the pci card has 3 wifi aerials, so built another 2, now i can point the cantenna towards the signal (just need to sort out a reflector on the router side)

Attachments

• PICT0122 [800x600].JPG
    PICT0122 [800x600].JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 1,037
computerbitz":21fzizhv said:
could be a number of issues as we have already established what model is the netgear router and whats the wifi cards used to connect the other devices or are they all internals if so try to find out what they are i.e Broadcom, Airport ect.

to get a little bit more detailed info on the other broadcasting networks around you use netstumbler it will tell you what channel they are all on and will allow you to see if a channel range isnt being used that you could try to cut the interference. www.netstumbler.com.

Also not a bit fan of WEP you router will have a thing called ACL list on it this is a list allowing you to add the MAC address of each wifi device you allow to access the network this is like putting a man on the door and saying if you name aint on the guest list you aint getting in, WEP can be hacked on its own keep it active as it also encrypt your data something that ACL on its own doesnt do.

MAC address filtering is no longer considered a security precaution, anyone who wanted in would find it no problem at all to overcome (spoofing a legit address) and it just adds hassle to administer e.g. a friend wants to use the connection etc..

The best you can do is go for the highest encryption level that your least advanced device supports e.g. if all devices support WPA then use WPA, if you've a device that only does WEP then lower to WEP to accomodate that device.

Don't bother to hide the SSID, again it's no security precaution and it's contrary to the standards for 802.11a/b/g networks, again it just causes more issues than it resolves.

Bottom line, if someone wants in they'll get in, all you can do is make it inconvenient so they'll find another easier target more attractive.

paddy01":lp7abh35 said:
computerbitz":lp7abh35 said:
could be a number of issues as we have already established what model is the netgear router and whats the wifi cards used to connect the other devices or are they all internals if so try to find out what they are i.e Broadcom, Airport ect.

to get a little bit more detailed info on the other broadcasting networks around you use netstumbler it will tell you what channel they are all on and will allow you to see if a channel range isnt being used that you could try to cut the interference. www.netstumbler.com.

Also not a bit fan of WEP you router will have a thing called ACL list on it this is a list allowing you to add the MAC address of each wifi device you allow to access the network this is like putting a man on the door and saying if you name aint on the guest list you aint getting in, WEP can be hacked on its own keep it active as it also encrypt your data something that ACL on its own doesnt do.

MAC address filtering is no longer considered a security precaution, anyone who wanted in would find it no problem at all to overcome (spoofing a legit address) and it just adds hassle to administer e.g. a friend wants to use the connection etc..

The best you can do is go for the highest encryption level that your least advanced device supports e.g. if all devices support WPA then use WPA, if you've a device that only does WEP then lower to WEP to accomodate that device.

Don't bother to hide the SSID, again it's no security precaution and it's contrary to the standards for 802.11a/b/g networks, again it just causes more issues than it resolves.

Bottom line, if someone wants in they'll get in, all you can do is make it inconvenient so they'll find another easier target more attractive.

Well i disagree it still is a valid safety measure, yeah agreed mac address can be spoofed and that would allow someone if they could do it access to your network hence why i said i would still use WEP with the ACL but they gotta figure out what mac address they can use to access your network, i dont like WEP as most school kids can get into it these days. but lets refer to your bottom line make it as difficult as possible amd if you got ACL in use thats a diffulcty for the potential hacker isnt it.

Back