Frame damage: what to do?

Best option is to replace the frame.

But to be honest, you can keep riding that no issues. Just the other day I used a mallet to straighten out the chainstays on my MTB, which had been bent sideways as the axle snapped while I was stomping on the pedals.

As usual the lighter the tubing, the thinner, and therefor more likely to bend.
If it rides well, rides hands off ok, so geometry is ok, as previously said you should have no problem.
However if you want it with new pain, decals etc, then have the tubes replaced at the same time.

This bike has some really cool stuff. Get the frame repaired and painted at JRJ Leeds.Consider replacing the pedals with campag track to match the sprinters C65s. A dream in 74?

Flandria":1eqn0csu said:
Hi all, thanks for the advice!

First of all, I've sent these pictures to a framebuilder. He told me that it's an easy job for him to replace the down- and toptube with new Ishiwata 022 tubes. Price for this, including an enamel respray with lug lining would be £162.

That is a good price and you'll get back a perfect frame, for what its worth I'd take that option :)

Looks like about 2 degrees or 1/2 inch at the front hub.
Nothing to stop it being ridden, but on occasions when things like this happened when out with a group I would lie on the floor holding the front wheel, feet on the chainring, with the owner holding the bike up. A gentle tug on the front wheel with the owner telling me when to stop was all it needed. Sometimes rather further back than this one.

Keith

Thanks for all the recent comments and tips to all! This was an older topic though, from 2013. Meanwhile, I've got the frame powdercoated without bending it back. Rather safe option, regarding the comments in this topic and advice I've got from some framebuilders. Frame has been sold already by the way, of course with a clear notation to the new buyer about the damage and the actions I took ;).

Flandria":23i0060u said:
Midlife":23i0060u said:
Well, that's had a front end crash. Wonder if the forks are bent as well?

Given that steel is pretty tough you could ride it without it falling apart but why bother. It would annoy me to the point of distraction. Bending it back and filing the ripples off is never a good idea but done a lot BITD for cheap bikes.

The other option is to have the tubes replaced but the lugs often get distorted and would likely be more than the cost of finding another.

Personally I'd look for another frame to put the Campag kit on and sell the frame and forks off to someone who wants a fixie frame.

Shame though.

Shaun

The forks are ok! And they are original Flandria forks. So either they didn't got damaged in the crash, or they were replaced by a new set...

If it's beyond repair, I think I'll go for a cheap powdercoat... Is bending it back in place and filing the ripples of such a bad choice, if it's done by a professional framebuilder?
I don't think you will find a reputable frame builder prepared to put his name to the bending back/filing fix. Not with Ishy 022 tube maybe with a gas pipe tube frame but then it would be cheaper to buy a different one To replace the top & down tube & paint unless it's a must have/keep frame wouldn't be cost effective.

Back